Going Crazy 404

wordpress

I’m running in circles trying to get my new DH site up. I paid someone to move the files and change the theme in the process, and although she did that, I now get a regular 404 message. I’ve done nearly everything on this page (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-save-or-publish-new-posts-1) but I can’t seem to preview posts. This looks like it may be an admin problem, but I don’t have the php knowledge to get in there and fix it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Can you tell us the domain, and give examples of url’s? A few folks with green names might be able to help without them, but quite a few of us are other customers that don’t have access to that info unless you tell us.

Without specific issues, my guess is that you have DNS issues, either because you haven’t made changes to a a domain that existed elsewhere or because your changes are still being propagated.

What does the person you hired think? have they given you any insight what the problem might be? If you paid someone hopefully you checked their references and didn’t hire someone without the correct experience.

What’s a ‘regular’ 404 mean? You mean it looks like a WP page?

Can you tell us the domain, and give examples of url’s? A few folks with green names might be able to help without them, but quite a few of >us are other customers that don’t have access to that info unless you tell us.

The domain is craigbromberg.com

Without specific issues, my guess is that you have DNS issues, either because you haven’t made changes to a a domain that existed >elsewhere or because your changes are still being propagated.

Perhaps, I’m just not knowledgeable enough to know

What does the person you hired think? have they given you any insight what the problem might be? If you paid someone hopefully you >checked their references and didn’t hire someone without the correct experien

I hired someone with impeccable credentials and experience off TaskRabbit—a Google scholar in security issues if you can believe that!—but she says: “It’s a wordpress issue and most likely has something to do with the fact that your database was from many years ago and maybe there is a conflict between your new hosting and old database. I suggest that you contact dream host and tell them about your problem.”

So here I am.

What’s a ‘regular’ 404 mean? You mean it looks like a WP page?

Yes, it’s a WP page in the style of the Wootheme (Flipflop) I am using.

any help would be appreciated.

The WordPress (notice the camel cases? Capital P, please and thank you) database has been incredibly capable of upgrading itself from WP 1 all the way through 3.8 - in fact, one of the tests we do is to see how far back we can upgrade from :slight_smile: While I do suggest you upgrade to WP 3.8 when you can, I don’t think that upgrades are the problem.

Can you switch to the Twenty Twelve theme and see if the same problems happen there?