GoDaddy user

I have had my domain name registered with GoDaddy for four years; in fact, I just renewed it for two more years last night. THEN I decided to look into WordPress which led me here to DreamHost. I signed up for the two-week free trial, but it appears that I need to wait 60 days after renewing at GD to change my host site to DH. I am totally new at this and wondering if I should just cancel my free trial. But … I don’t want to lose the opportunity for the free trial in 60 days. Help!

The 60 days is to re-register your domain with someone else. You can host it anywhere at any time. All you have to do is go over to GoDaddy and configure your domain to use the DreamHost name servers.

Oh “Grizzled Veteran” please bear with me. When I put in my domain name, it tells me I “can’t add that domain: already in our system.”

That often happens because someone was goofing around and used your domain name as a test or feeble attempt at hosting it. Naturally, it didn’t and won’t work for them since you’re the legitimate owner.

You will have to contact Support and let them know and provide some proof that you’re the legitimate owner of that registered domain. This happens a lot, so Support probably has the remedy down to a science.

Thank you - you are very kind and helpful. But I think I give up; this is just too complicated for me!