Git

Ditto.

Not going to lie, Git is a mystery to me right now beyond conceptual use, but it would be nice to have a simple expedited/automated way to set it up like the SVN repos - could probably even use the same form - instead of the hoops in the Wiki for us more front-end folks.

Would you be more likely to use this for public repositories or private ones?

• private (Github has the public covered pretty well for the community…someday maybe)

Multiple contributors or just yourself?

• multiple contributors (but, at present, one would do)

Any interest in web repository viewers?

• not so important (though some basic management would be nice - repo name, install path, passwords, usernames, etc. similar to SVN setup/form)

Do you use graphical tools to work with Git, or just the command-line tool?

• currently use SVN because of the one-click install and management and use a GUI for interfacing…not really a command-line person (a.k.a., not a hardcore server admin.)

Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?

• Not at present (FTP is viable intermediary step), though would be pretty nice down the line (I’ve used Beanstalk and a couple other clients for this in the past)

Bump +1

Would use private repositories for personal purposes. For public I have github.

Web viewer not important, but would probably use if available. Gitosis is simple to setup.

Mostly use terminal.

I was actually surprised to see this request being taken serious by the DH Team. The only reason I say that is because unlike “junk” versions systems (CVS, SVN, basically anything besides git and to a slightly lesser extent, merucial), full-on git use can take up space and resources very quickly (we have two dedicated servers where I work that just handles git, well and it runs a constant build system as well to check for errors but that is not where the majority of the resources get used).

There is a way to do it though that won’t hurt the bank; however my eyes are more than half-closed at the moment so I don’t think I should try to go into details now. If for whatever reason I forget to update this thread, please PM me with as many jokes regarding Italian-stereotypes as you can (or something like that =p).

+1 GIT support at Dreamhost would be… well a dream come true!

Would you be more likely to use this for public repositories or private ones?

private, GitHub.com for public

Multiple contributors or just yourself?

Single OK, but small number would be better

Any interest in web repository viewers?

Somewhat. Would be nice, but not critical

Do you use graphical tools to work with Git, or just the command-line tool?

Mostly graphical (SourceTree), and integrated (Eclipse, etc.)

Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?

Maybe. main goal would be for private repo hosting for other development

Bumping.

I’m looking for a private, authentication-required repository. Command line tool is all I need, and it’s single-person access; although muiti-user is a feature I might use in the future. I really do not want web-browsing; this is why the http-only svn repositories make me nervous, since http-only is not exactly high security, and I use them rarely enough to make upgrading to SSL a dubious cost-benefit tradeoff, especially given the annoyance factor. Frankly, I’d rather just have clean, easy-to-use ssh-based repo access, for either svn or git.

Isn’t this already available? If it’s over SSH, then that is the authentication, right? Or am I missing something?

I’m new to Git so any favors are appreciated. Having something on par with your SVN tools would go a long way for me.
[list]
[]Would you be more likely to use this for public repositories or private ones?
Both. I appreciate the private here / public on Github, but I’d like to keep things simple and centrally located if possible.
[
] Multiple contributors or just yourself?
Multiple, why limit myself? The SVN tools name/pass field seems good enough.
[]Any interest in web repository viewers?
Yes, if it’s an option than why not.
[
]Do you use graphical tools to work with Git, or just the command-line tool?
I try to avoid command lines when possible.
[*] Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?
This sounds like cool option, but I have no clue, so I’ll try to glean info from others responses.
[/list]

1&1 has GIT but I cannot really tell if it’s any good or anything. Apparently it acts mostly like a file version tracker and restorer in their product, which can be manually set up to archive files and restore them within the shell. Although they might have a control panel for it I think you’re left up to designing your own interface around it or installing some third party GIT interface software…

Bump +1 - easy install would be nice, too.

Why not:

bitbucket.com for your private repos
deployhq.com for your deployment

I’d rather not see my hosting company focus on something that isn’t really hosting…

+1 for one-click git support.

I’d use this primarily for private repositories, primarily for just myself. I’d like a web repository viewer (similar to what bitbucket offers), and I use graphical tools for Git (primarily Git Extensions). I would be very likely to use git for my dreamhost site code.

Thanks!

I use these instructions and it works great:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Gitolite

[list]
[]Private, public works great on github
[
]Multipule
[]Yes, a web based viewer would be great (outside of the control panel)
[
]None yet due to lack of support by my host
[*]Yes, right now all my sites are in svn and get deployed live but having a hook to auto deploy select branches would be great
[/list]

I would love to see something like this: https://about.gitlab.com/downloads/

I have it set up on my Cent OS 7 server at home but I don’t have the bandwidth to provide a real experience.

I would also like to see git on-click support. We would use repositories for internal use only (fewer than 10 users). For now, I think we’re going to try Gitolite, but may just hit BitBucket up.

+1 for GitLab suggestion as a one-click install.

Both Public and private
multiple contributors
Yes to a viewer
Tortoise and command line
No deploy

Dear DreamHost tech team, I hope the implementation of this into our left-menu “goodies” won’t take long. It’s about time. Please, take a look into it.

[list]
[] Public and Private (more of the private kind anyway)
[
] Both cases. Some repos just me, most of them we have a team
[] Some projects will need web viewers, yes. Most of them do not.
[
] Mostly command-line.
[*] It is an interesting idea to have a site on “master” and be able to work on the “develop” branch. If you can make that easier, I’ll be using it gladly. Tools: command line to push/pull, conflict tools to help (kdiff3 or other) , bluefish and firefox/google chrome to help editing/viewing.
[/list]

Wow, this is an old thread I was not aware of :slight_smile:

The good news is that git is installed on all machines now, from shared hosting to VPS, DreamPress, and dedicated. This should help address many of the use cases in this thread although not as easily as with a 1-click install of Gitlab and co.

For an intro on how to use git on DreamHost servers, add a remote on your account, etc have a look at this post https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/2016/10/04/using-git-wordpress/

HTH

*cough* git version 2.7.3 *cough* [this is on sandy.dreamhost.com]

At the time of writing this, git is currently at 2.15.0. Perhaps an upgrade is in order…?