Git

Hey :slight_smile:

I wonder if you are considering offering GIT as a setup like SVN?

/Leif

Go language support on shared hosting

+1 Git with access control as a One-Click would be pretty sweet. Lotta work 'tho!

What kind of functionality are you expecting us to make available here? Keep in mind that there’s no special magic needed to publish a Git repository over HTTP — simply copying a bare repository into your web directory is sufficient to make it clonable, and you can push to it over SSH.

“One-Click” was a bad description, sorry.

I think the suggestion is for an easy access control interface (like with the Panel SVN).

Goodies > Subversion > [allowed users] | [Visibility: Private]

+1!

Private github, for free!

So, htaccess password protection for the directory? We have that. :slight_smile:

No, “GIT as a setup like SVN” :stuck_out_tongue:

It would be great to see gitorious set up as a one-click (like Trac).

[/wishful thinking]

We’ve actually been looking into this as it is the most popular suggestion in the suggestions system set up through the Account Control Panel. I’ll update here when there is more information (for now we’re looking into the scope - it’s very easy to install already but if we have to integrate it with the Panel that takes more effort of course including all of the mechanisms/services to deploy and set it up on demand).

And we’d still be interested in hearing what you’d like to see out of this. A few particular points I’d be interested in:

[list]
[] Would you be more likely to use this for public repositories or private ones?
[
] Multiple contributors or just yourself?
[] Any interest in web repository viewers?
[
] Do you use graphical tools to work with Git, or just the command-line tool?
[*] Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?
[/list]

Yeah, it’s quite the task when compared to the SVN counterpart, but Git with account access control via Panel would be an insanely good product. The currently available solutions are charging shared hosting rates, so users are prepared to spend. Tie it in to Cloud Objects and DH would instantly have a service that everyone should be using.

We can do a lot of all this already with the basic git support on servers - I already have a couple of repos hosted on my account and can share it with a couple of custom tweaks. What I’m looking for however is support for git-daemon so that repo cloning is not as slow as it usually is over http.

[list]
[] Would you be more likely to use this for public repositories or private ones?
[list]
[
] Private. Github and the like are already available for public repos.
[/list]
[] Multiple contributors or just yourself?
[list]
[
] Multiple!
[/list]
[] Any interest in web repository viewers?
[list]
[
] No.
[/list]
[] Do you use graphical tools to work with Git, or just the command-line tool?
[list]
[
] I use a variety: gitg, git-cola, qgit, tig (command line but graphical), and built-in git tools in Rstudio and NetBeans
[/list]
[] Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?
[list]
[
] Primarily for my sites. I already use git to deploy most of my sites, but it’s over SSH so I have to also have a repo on BitBucket if I want someone else to contribute. I don’t want my site’s source hanging out the window for all to see, so it should be private which BitBucket offers, but it’s still on someone else’s server, which I don’t like. For me, it’s an issue of security when working with others on sites deployed at DreamHost.

My method is basically like this which means I already have a bare repo sitting in my account anyway. The only thing that’s missing is an easy way for a collaborator to access it.

That being said, it would also be cool to occasionally share git repos of R projects or even LaTeX/Markdown manuscripts with others in research groups, which is not related to running a website, but would be really small repos so hopefully it wouldn’t violate the TOS.
[/list]
[/list]

Public and private. Currently I use github for public, and dreamhost-through-ssh for private, but I would like a good, proper way to have both in one place.

Multiple would be best - I often work on projects with my brother, and other people

They are occasionally useful. The one with Gitorious does well enough.

I use command line, but my brother (also a Dreamhost customer) uses TortiseGIT, and (more recently) git integration with Aptana.

I already deploy sites to dreamhost through git, but as a local clone. I have ~/git/ set up, which holds my bare git repos, then I push to them with SSH, and clone them to my live sites.

This isn’t ideal for me, but I make it work. I don’t make use of HTTP checkouts or the like, but I would if it were all easily available (i.e. through gitorious).

I currently push one of my sites to gitorious and then pull into my Dreamhost account. I guess I could do that faster by using git+ssh now. Part of doing it on gitorius was because it’s part of an open source Firefox extension and I wanted the source available somewhere public.

I’m not quite sure how this will be improved, but I’m certainly interested.

I do remember the first time I saw just SVN in the panel and my first thought was why doesn’t Dreamhost support something more modern like GIT. Maybe just adding a page desribing how you can use GIT on Dreamhost might help?

(For those interested it’s: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/webcott/ )

And we’d still be interested in hearing what you’d like to see out of this. A few particular points I’d be interested in:

Would you be more likely to use this for public repositories or private ones?
    - private
Multiple contributors or just yourself?
    - me, maybe my son
Any interest in web repository viewers?
    - no
Do you use graphical tools to work with Git, or just the command-line tool?
    - eclipse egit plugin
Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?
    - deploy to dreamhost, no tool right now.  I just ftp...

+1 for Goodies > Subversion > [allowed users] | [Visibility: Private]

• private
  • multiple contibutors
  • not so important
  • we use tortoisegit
    Would you be likely to using our Git support to deploy a site to DreamHost? If so, do you have any preferred tools or methods for doing that?
  • yes would be nice to have deployment support for smaller projects.

private

both, but mostly just myself

some interest, but this is a nice-to-have

Just the command-line tool

Hm… Might be interesting. No preferred tools or methods at this point. On the other hand, wouldn’t this just be cloning the repository into a site? Am I missing something?

Bump +1

Would use private repositories for personal and business purposes

Web viewer not important, but would probably use if available

Mostly use graphical tools

Didn’t think about deploying a site using Git