Getting Wordpress on Domain

wordpress

1. Bought domain from GoDaddy;
  2. Used DH Nameservers ns1, ns2, ns3 . dreamhost .com
  3. Added domain on DH side
  4. Tried to add Easy WP Install
  5. It tells me I already have that domain hosted with DH.
  6. I delete the domain, start over, try the easy WP install first. Tells me I need the domain hosted with DH.

Rinse repeat.

Any ideas in what specifc, exact order I must do those basic steps to get my WP blog up and running? I just bought domains yesterday so maybe they haven’t had time to fully propagate? But can anyone comprehend if I’m doing something wrong from the outset?

Thanks,
Eric

Use the advanced install. It has all same features as an easy install. Plus, it allows your to customize your site down the road if you want. I’ve never used the easy install myself but it may be confused by your setup.

I’m surprised about the #6 problem. For Easy Mode, you just type in the (sub)domain you want to host.

But I agree with sean in that the Advanced install of WordPress is definitely the way to go. Just make sure you go to Manage Domains and set up a Fully Hosted domain first.

[quote=“seanthegeek, post:2, topic:53254”]
Use the advanced install. It has all same features as an easy install. Plus, it allows your to customize your site down the road if you want. I’ve never used the easy install myself but it may be confused by your setup.
[/quote]Thanks, but to be thorough, should I add the domain first, then used advanced install… or just use the advanced install and it will automatically add the domain for me?

I’ll go test it out but would still appreciate your 2nd reply.

Thanks much,
Eric[hr]

[quote=“sdayman, post:3, topic:53254”]
I’m surprised about the #6 problem. For Easy Mode, you just type in the (sub)domain you want to host.

But I agree with sean in that the Advanced install of WordPress is definitely the way to go. Just make sure you go to Manage Domains and set up a Fully Hosted domain first.
[/quote]Well, I wanted it on the top level so that the domain itself revealed the blog. I set up an easy install and it complained that the domain was already hosted. So, in the confusion, I deleted the domain, thinking the error message meant that Easy Install would both add the domain AND do the easy install.

Well, in my haste, I didn’t read that if I deleted a domain on a promo account, then I could not re-add it. So, now it DOES look re-added but it doesn’t have the WebFTP | FTP | Add IP links under the name. The one click install page IS showing an install, though… even after I went and deleted the domain and seem to have re-added it.

I was expecting to add a domain, then 1 click install. It hasn’t worked out that way.

Any help appreciated,
Eric[hr]
btw, my 3 domains each say registrar unknown… yet I’m sure I put the dns info in the proper places in the domain records at godaddy. What’s it take 2-3 days to propogate or something?

I don’t know why the Easy Install gave you that message. Double-check what exists in Manage Domains and in the One-Click section to see what’s there for your domain. There should be no trace of it in the One-Click sections for what’s already installed. It should show up in Manage Domains as a Fully Hosted domain.

The Promo account restriction is only about transferring domain hosting from one person to another. Within your own account, you can delete and add it as many times as you want.

“Registrar Unknown” doesn’t worry me that much. I do a WHOIS lookup from my shell account to see if it’s shown up on GoDaddy yet.

Bottom line: Try to get a clean start with that domain. When you delete something, it sometimes takes an hour or so for everything to clear out before you can get a fresh start.

thanks, will try all that and let you know, thanks again
Eric

I’m stuck at an even earlier stage. I’d like the one-click WordPress install but seem to be caught in a loop when I’m not running head first into a brick wall.

I bought the domain (----.com) from Dreamhost and am trying to get hosting on the Manage Domain page to which I was directed. I’ve filled in the “Fully Hosted” section except for Create New User “Users, Files and Paths /stockholm” which I’m finding completely confusing. What do I have to write here?

I’ve ignored the Google section as I’m trying to head straight for whatever I need for WordPress. I’ve also left the recommended PHP CGI menu choice.

Do I have to click the “host DNS only” button at the bottom? I can’t see any other button to register the hosting.

Really sorry for my techno-idiocy but would be grateful for someone to clarify what it is I should be doing.

Thank you.

You need to create a new user so someone owns the directory where you install WordPress. The username I pick is a derivative of the domain name. Be sure to stay inside the Fully Hosted box on that screen. Don’t scroll down into the other types of hosting. Fully Hosted has its own blue button to get it started.