Getting started

hello,

I’m setting up a dreamhost account for my student, what is the best way to handel this;

• i don’t want individual students to handel other students files, so i presume i will have to set up individual sub-domains?
  • i dont want students to manipulate the global settings

Anny advice?

Thanks

"Subject: Re: getting started

hello,

I’m setting up a dreamhost account for my student, what is the best way to handel this;

• i don’t want individual students to handel other students files, so i presume i will have to set up individual sub-domains?
  • i dont want students to manipulate the global settings

Anny advice?"

It would help to know what you want/need your student(s) to be able to do?

ftp files?
create web pages?
access database(s)?

find / offer local services free
http://www.TheHelpfulNeighbor.com

they must be able to:

• create and upload webpages, make theyre own website and publish it
  • they must have theyre own database acces it and controle it

The way I’d do it is to create a user for each student with a sub-domain under their control. This way, they can log-in via FTP and only see the files in their own home directory, including the web directory for their sub-domain.

They won’t be able to create databases unless you give them panel access by creating a WEBID for them. You can restrict (to a certain extent) what they can do in the panel using ‘privileges’, but I would just create a database for each student (together with appropriate DB user) and give the students the database details together with their FTP log-in details.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

But DH does not allow us to create unlimited FTP users.

Can we use htaccess to prevent students seeing other’s folders via FTP?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

No, they are not unlimited, but you can create quite a few, 75 on the level 1 plan up to a whopping 775 on the level 4 plan. I guess a lot depends on how many students the OP poster is thinking of hosting and what hosting plan they currently have.

Edit: In answer to your question;

.htaccess files can not be used to restrict FTP access at all, since they only affect Apache.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

You’ve gotten good advice from the other user and I only have one thing to add. While you can give each student a WebId, and access to Database creation tools via the panel, doing so might be a bit problematic as these users could then see, and delete other users’ database hosts (that are in the same “master account”).

For this reason, if you don’t have too many students needing accounts, I strongly recommend that you simply give each user/student their own ftp/shell account and that you create a single database for each user, which they can then control without having to have access to database creation/host manipulation utilities in the control panel.

This precludes them from getting at the database/host creation facilities, and could prevent potential mischief. :wink:

–rlparker

If each user has their own ftp account, they can not see each others account, unless shell access is enabled, then they would have to know how to find that account.
As for making their account visible on the web, it can be sub domain or a sub directory. Sub domains require time to propagate across the web.
Silk

My website

.htaccess only applies to http/https protocols - not FTP

Wholly - IS NOT MY PROMO CODE. Even worse, I don’t get any credit for it. Use WhollyMindless for full credit. I’m really disappointed in someone.

got it. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

so the solution is to use limited FTP users.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].