Getting Started with DO

dreamobjects

I’m going to take a risk here and let myself sound pretty uninformed & green.

DO is exactly what I was wishing for just a couple weeks ago. I have audio files I would like to upload. Then each would need to be accessible with its own password/key. Sounds simple enough, right?

Well, I am tech savvy, but what I’ve read about DO has been more WebDev focused, using terms I know just enough about to make a mess of things.

I wish there was something that was a bit more laymen’s terms on how to use this, where to start, what I need to make this work, etc…

OK, done feeling stupid. Thanks for any and all help!

No worries, the world of object storage is still fairly new!

You mention having a specific password or key for each file - this really isn’t possible without creating a separate user for each file. If this is really what you want, object storage may not be the right tool for you.

DreamObjects provides access keys and their corresponding secret keys to each user created in DreamObjects. You can set permission on the buckets and/or objects to Private, meaning only those with the access and secret key can retrieve those files.

If you haven’t already, take a look at our wiki http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DreamObjects_Overview It has some basic information but as you may have noticed, isn’t quite complete. One thing I’m working on is some documentation for connecting to DreamObjects using various third-party tools.