Getting slammed with comment spam

I’ve been getting slammed with comment spam for months now. Until recently, it was possible to keep on top of it with bulk actions, but I’ve got more than 1100 comments now and most of them are probably spam. I’ve got the Akismet plug-in running, but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. When I had an account at Wordpress.com, I used Akismet and it appeared to be much more effective. Have other folks had this problem? How did you solve it?

What’s the ratio of Pending vs Spam comments (i.e. how well/poorly is Akismet performing)?

There are other anti-spam plugins besides Akismet. I use and recommend WP-SpamShield.

Akismet is performing VERY poorly. 680 comments, all of them spam.

So the 680 are approved or pending comments? Are no comments classified as spam?

For comparison, here’s what the top of WP’s Comment page looks like for a small/low-volume site:

Example WordPress Comments

Akismet deletes spam after 15 days, so the screenshot shows that it has caught about 2 spams a day in the last 2 weeks.

If you’re not seeing any comments classified as spam, then maybe there is an Akismet configuration problem…