Getting my Domain connected to my blog on Blogspot/Blogger

Okay, this is the first time I’ve registered my own domain name and ever had to fiddle with any DNS-related stuff, so in that aspect, I’m totally new to this.

I registered my domain name (tech-tock.com) through DreamHost as part of their hosting package (free domain name + 1 year hosting).

Initially, I set up Google Services for my domain (at the urls cal.tech-tock.com, docs.tech-tock.com, mail.tech-tock.com, sites.tech-tock.com).

Took a few days break while I worked on some unrelated stuff, now I came back to it and am trying to link my blog from Blogger/Blogspot to my top-level domain (tech-tock.com).

What I want is for the main top-level domain to be the Blogger/Blogspot blog, but still have the ability to create sub-domains (test.tech-tock.com for example) for other related projects that are not blog-centered.

So that, going to:
www.tech-tock.com
tech-tock.com

Would bring up the blog. But going to any subdomain (test.tech-tock.com) would not.

I was trying to follow the instructions on the following page which details how to get your Blog to appear on your own domain:

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/static.py?page=ts.cs&ts=1233381

So I go to the DreamHost panel and in the left sidebar click Domains -> Manage Domains. On the next page, I click the DNS link under tech-tock.com

Information I’m given:
Nameserver 1: ns1.dreamhost.com
Nameserver 2: ns2.dreamhost.com
Nameserver 3: ns3.dreamhost.com

Custom DNS Records:
cal CNAME ghs.google.com.
mail CNAME ghs.google.com.

Non-Editable DreamHost DNS Records:
A 208.113.132.205
MX 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
MX 10 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
MX 10 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
MX 5 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
MX 5 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
NS ns1.dreamhost.com.
NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
NS ns3.dreamhost.com.
calendar CNAME ghs.google.com.
docs CNAME ghs.google.com.
ftp A 208.113.132.205
sites CNAME ghs.google.com.
www A 208.113.132.205

I seem to immediately run into a problem while trying to follow Google’s instructions (the above link google.com link) in order to link the tech-tock.com domain to the Blogger service. The first line of instructions states to:

“CNAME
Where it says Name, simply enter “www” and list ghs.google.com as the Host Name. See our detailed instructions on providing CNAMEs for various registrars. If yours isn’t listed, or if you run into other difficulties, contact your registrar directly and they can help you out.”

If I attempt to “Add a custom DNS record to tech-tock.com:” using the following information:

Name: www.
Type: CNAME
Value: ghs.google.com

Then click “Add Record Now”, when the page refreshes, I get the following error message:

“You already have a record for this name. You can’t have a CNAME and any other record on the same name.”

It would seem that there is a conflict because of the already-present “www A 208.113.132.205” entry. But if I’m correct about that, it’s about as far as I can understand how to troubleshoot this problem. I can’t delete the entry (and am not sure if that would screw something else up anyway, since I don’t exactly understand why the “www A 208.113.132.205” entry is there) because it’s part of the “Non-Editable” Records.

If anyone has some insight into this, I’d greatly appreciate the help.

Regards,