Get "No such person at this address" When Emailing a Dreahost Customer

Hello,

I have a client who is having trouble Emailing a Dreamhost customer. He has exchanged Emails with this person for a long time with no problem, but all of a sudden on 9/7 he started getting the Email returned with the following message: “No such person at this address”. This is a vendor he works with all the time and the Email address still exists. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks, Gary

Has there been a DNS change that you made lately? Also try sending from same domain via webmail and see the results for now.

There have been no DNS changes and an Email sent to the same address from webmail had the same result.

Thanks, Gary

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much that can be done here in the forum. Dreamhost can’t give you any information.

If the dreamhost customer is having problems with his email, he can contact dreamhost support thru the dreamhost panel.

FWIW, I’ve never seen an error message worded the way you have it quoted. Was it a bounce type email that came back? Or is it more like a person or auto responder is replying? Are you able to contact the person via any other methods? Or from perhaps a different email address? If so, then he or she can contact dreamhost support if they don’t understand why you would be getting that type of message.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, the Dreamhost customer is not very computer literate. His son (who is now is California. We are in Georgia) setup the hosting and Email for the business and the son is the one who interacts with Dreamhost and he is a little hard to get in contact with.

Yes, this was a bounce back Email, that was the exact message and the error message is generally a function of how the Email server is configured. I have found that some bounceback messages are not very helpful.

Thanks, Gary

As already covered, dreamhost won’t give you information about a customers account, and that’s what they would be doing if they answered any question for you.

For what it’s worth, that is not what the dreamhost mail servers respond with. You would be seeing "user@address.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table" as a bounce from a dreamhost server.

“No such person at this address” really sounds more like something someone created with an auto-responder or message filter, not a server generated bounce message.

Or a bounce message being generated by another mail server the message was forwarded to. Can’t tell for sure from the information provided.

ahh good point…