Get more support people!

You have 859 open tickets, your people are in such a rush that they aren’t able to fully look into an issue, which means I have to write back with a clarification, which means waiting another day or two for a response.

I’ve absolutely loved everything about Dreamhost since recently switching over, but your support response times are horrible compaired to other hosting providers.

You have a good point, support is rather slow.

But if you look at http://www.dreamhost.com/jobs.html they are looking. So apply for the job guys :wink:

They used to be much better as far as support and uptime. I recently sent them a detailed complaint message. Took them a couple days to get back to me (they used to have a 24 hour guarantee) but the gist of it was they have grown faster than expected.

BTW, there are a lot of hosts out there with worse support than what DH offers.

[quote]BTW, there are a lot of hosts out there with worse support than what DH offers.

[/quote]

coughripplehostcough

I dont know. I have been here 3 years and I am looking for another host. This recent no response for 3 days on a non holiday weekend, when I have data I have to have is not acceptable. The support is dragging here.

You’ve been here for 3 years, and yet this is the first time you’ve been moved to register a forum name and post here. It can’t be all bad, can it?

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites (business site) | si-blog (personal site with affiliate links)

When it comes to data, and no response, for days, nothing and I mean nothing, makes up for downtime. Dont get me wrong dreamhost is good. Recently I really needed them, they have went amiss. Like today monday, i have been waiting since friday to discuss some data problems. Missing data and not one response.

Support is important and the recent trend could be left over from the holiday season.

i’ve been here for more than 3 years and within the last year i’ve seen the service they provide go steadly down hill in the last 12 months. site outages are rare but email outages are a constant pain for me. i have a ton of stuff set up here and i shudder at the thought of having to set it up all over again but if they can’t get their act together soon, i’ll have to do just that. i can’t operate a business with this kind of inconstantcy.

• chris

I’ve been with DH since 1997. The last year has certainly been the worst. By far and without a doubt. There have been days where my web server has gone down more than I’ve seen in all the other years combined. Then those days repeat.

For six months I notified them when I saw my server down. They told me they would work on finding a fix. After six months, it was still not fixed. With their new reporting system, it would go down, they would mark it as verified, then mark it as fixed without actually fixing the problem - the server would still be down. I’ve seen this happen upwards of a dozen times a day.

Finally I sent them a fairly lengthy email on the subject, and they replied blaming growth. I did notice from the time I sent the email to the time they replied, my machines IP changed and since then the downtime has been much less. In 2005, there was probably over 100 outages that I noticed, and countless more that others informed me about. And I always verified the outage with someone on a different network to verify it wasn’t my connection.

I have found my ship. After looking around for similar options and a company that surrounds itself with the idea of excellent support and with a few of my fellow developers making suggestions, I have found jaguarpc. With what I have found out and heard about them, Im sure moving my sites is a better solution than to wait around here. I dont want to post links, if you are interested, you will know what to look for.

JPC does look pretty good.

[quote]jaguarpc

[/quote]

Shame their AUP makes them virtually useless for email:

the sending of unsolicited email, from a Jaguar Technologies LLC server or using an email address that is maintained by us is STRICTLY prohibited and will qualify your site for immediate deactivation with no refund.

[quote]Shame their AUP makes them virtually useless for email:

the sending of unsolicited email, from a Jaguar Technologies LLC server or using an email address that is maintained by us is STRICTLY prohibited and will qualify your site for immediate deactivation with no refund.
[/quote]
Well, they’re probably referring to unsolicited commercial email. Doing so is illegal in a lot of places. So it’s tough to blame them for following laws.

That said, they didn’t word it very well which demonstrates a lack of care. On a topic which would “qualify your site for immediate deactivation with no refund” it’s a poor area not to use a reasonable amount of care.

[quote]Well, they’re probably referring to unsolicited commercial email.

[/quote]

No they are not. Perhaps you mean they /meant/ to refer to UCE. I doubt that too.

No they are not. Perhaps you mean they /meant/ to refer to UCE. I doubt that too.

How do you know they weren’t referring to UCE with that statement?

Edit: I just went and read their AUP. They are referring to UCE. That sentence is under this heading:

Commercial Advertising- Email (SPAM) :

So they are explicitly talking about UCE. Their policy is about the same as Dreamhost’s. If you’re a spammer, I can see that you would have problems with this.

[quote]So they are explicitly talking about UCE.

[/quote]

No - their /explicit/ reference is to “unsolicited email”. This is theor only definition of the “SPAM” of the heading you refer to.

[quote]Their policy is about the same as Dreamhost’s.

[/quote]

I do hope not. DH: “we do not officially support bulk email on our servers”.

[quote]No - their /explicit/ reference is to “unsolicited email”.

[/quote]

The header explicitly says “commercial.”

The header does not prohibit it. What’s prohibited is explicitly “unsolicited email”.

oi oi
hows does thread about DH needind more support people turn into flames?

now back on topic, if you’re so worried about it apply for a job or be quite, I agree a 100% but bitching about it to your peers does absolutly nothing, hell I’m faily certain they only look here once or twice a week for about 5min, I’ve seen 4 staff posts here in total, even then I"m no sure if it was actual staff or some sort trusted user
if you’re that adiment about it mail them about it, cause flaming here gets nothing done and only irritates the rest of the users having to watch the flame war

Um, reply to wrong post?