GeoIP City Lite

apps

Hello, I’ve been trying to get GeoIP city lite installed on my dreamhost account for awstats for many hours but I can’t get it to work at all =/ I think I got GeoIP working but I’m not even sure if thats GeoIP doing this is setting the DNSLookup option to 1 thats doing it… If anybody could walk me through the complete installation of GeoIP city lite, that would be really nice. I have my awstats working as they would normally work after a normal setup.

anyone? =/ I found this page http://www.antezeta.com/awstats/geoip.html which gives instructions but I need to create files in /usr/local/share/GeoIP/ and I’m not allowed to do so… I’ve seen someone else do this and get it to work and I sent him a msg but he never answered back so I’m sure its doable on the dreamhost account… just not sure how…

Errrr…
You should just be able to specify a different directory entirely.
For instance: /home/username/GeoIP

Just create the GeoIP directory and follow the directions on that website, replacing their reference of “/usr/local/share/GeoIP” with “/home/username/GeoIP”.

I haven’t done it myself, so I can’t verify positively that it works this way, but I’m 99% sure it does. :slight_smile:

I just tried installing and running the demo PHP files from maxmind.com and the demo did not work.

The code in geoip.inc contains calls to fopen() which Dreamhost has disabled for security reasons.

It appears that a conversion to use the CURL library is required to use the GeoLiteCity.dat file - or else port the data into MySQL, an approach the vendor says will hurt performance. Anyone come up with an effective solution?

Thanks,
Kevin

If you cut/paste the relevant fopen line someone here might provide you with some cURL lines that will get the job done.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH