General Question about using a different registrar

Hi,

I’m new here. I just purchased a year of hosting from dreamhost, but was planning on keeping my domains with their existing registrars. I have three domains and frankly can’t afford/don’t understand how things work around here.

I set up two accounts, unlocked the domains, and set up the DNS on two of the domains. Will I be charged once the DNS is done refreshing for both domains? I’m not interested in switching registrars honestly, and don’t understand why I have to deal with this kind of ambiguity (after leaving 1&1 for the same exact kind of shenanigans)

Please let me know what’s going on. I am actually unemployed right now so paying for each additional domain (i don’t understand why this used to be so much easier) is completely out of the question for me financially.

A

If you leave the domains at the current registrars, you don’t pay anything per-domain, just the yearly Dreamhost fee you already paid.

EDIT: Well, until the domains reach expiry.

Don’t forget that all DH hosting plan comes with a lifetime free domain. As long as you keep the hosting plan, you don’t need to pay anything for the domain. With some promo codes, you could get more free lifetime domains.

If you leave the domain with current registrar, you will have to pay the domain registration every year.

It is really up to you.