Gem list --remote

I have been having problems all day trying to install local gems to my home directory. After wasting almost 5 hours on this, I finally typed

gem list --remote

can the command did not retrieve the list. This indicates a serious problem, and is clearly in my view, the cause of my woes. I realize the Dreamhost cannot do any debugging for me, but could some of you please try this command from your server? I use edendale, so trying the command from that machine would make more sense. Thanks.

Gordon

Here is the output of gem list --remote --debug
from another user’s account on edendale:

[edendale]$ gem list --remote --debug
Exception `Errno::ENOENT’ at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:51 - No such file or directory - /home/christian_minv/.gemrc

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
Exception ArgumentError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_info_cache.rb:71 - marshal data too short ExceptionArgumentError’ at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_info_cache.rb:71 - marshal data too short
Exception LoadError' at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such file to load -- Win32API ExceptionLoadError’ at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34 - no such file to load – Win32API
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
removing /tmp/open-uri.3766.0…done
removing /tmp/open-uri.3766.1…done

On rupee, every gem command I give that requres going out to gems.rubyforge.org results in a (NoMethodError).

ERROR: While executing gem … (NoMethodError)
undefined method `refresh’ for #Hash:0x40782d60

Something’s broken, but I don’t know what.