GD library and php.ini settings

I have two questions:

1. is it possible to install GD library and how can you do it?
  2. is it possible to change timeout setings in php.ini so the script can run for about 10 minutes or so. Also how do you do this?

Just signed for 22$ for whole year (including free domain).
You can do the same with promo code [color=#CC0000]ADI97[/color]

GD is installed.

You can compile your own version of PHP.

Thanks so much for your help!

Can you just tell me where I can compile my own version of PHP or edit php.ini.

Thanks again!

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Installing_PHP5#Compiling_a_Customized_PHP_5

In addition to the link scuba provided, you might want to look at this wiki article describing how to install/use your own php.ini file, as you may not need to install your own PHP5 if all you need to do is change a setting in php.ini.

That said, you might consider that a php script that “run for 10 minutes” or so might be sufficiently resource intensive to create problems on a shared server and, if so, you should expect DH to prevent it’s use :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks, I think this is even better solution!

You think I might have problems with this? My plan is that this script would only be run like 50 times a week, I hope this isn’t such a big deal :frowning:

I’m glad you found the link helpful!

I don’t know for sure whether you would have problems, or not, as I don’t know what the script does, how “efficient” it is, etc. My warning was just so that you would consider the issue. I will say that if the script significantly loads the server “several” times a week, DH would be correct in preventing it’s use on a shared server.

At the very least, I would suggest, if you use such a script, that you carefully target when it is run to be at a very “low load” time when fewer users are likely to be impacted. Actually, I would run it past DH support first, as there are certain other issues involved; by setting your execution time so high, you risk any “runaway” script running as your user to also risk overloading the server.

Those are just my thoughts, and I am not a DH employee, so please remember that YMMV :wink:

–rlparker

No problem! I appreciate all your tips, I will see how thing will go and then I will decide if I need dedicated hosting.