Game Servers?

I had seen this question asked on another “less official” DreamHost forum, and I thought it couldn’t hurt to ask here, and see what you all say. Is it possible and allowed to run game servers through SSH on DreamHost? For instance, if someone wanted to run a Wolfenstein Enemy Territory server, or something to that effect… I read that constant processes are often frowned upon, and frankly, I can understand why, but what if it wasn’t always using CPU time? I don’t believe Enemy Territory’s server uses any CPU time or cycles when it’s not doing anything. Just thought I would ask, your answer won’t dictate whether or not I become a customer, I’m planning on getting an account this weekend.

-Kirk

Running games servers is prohibited (see the DH Wiki article on Persistent Processes).

–rlparker

Game servers are prohibited, as you correctly guessed. More here.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

In a word, no.

Enemy Territory IS always using CPU time, and if it is not, it is using MASSIVE memory. It may not always be using ALL the cpu time (but a nice 15v15 battle will easily do that).

I’ll refer you to the ToS : "Any application that listens for inbound network connections (even if the application would otherwise be allowed) are not permitted. "

http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html

Would that also include web browser based games, such as Solar Empire?

Does it run as a persistent process? If not, then you’ve already answered your own question :wink:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Browser based games generally run on the client side with the web site backing it only to deliver the game and possibly other information - but certainly not on par with a 3d FPS with 30 players.

If you talk to the host too heavily you’ll get your account shut down, browser game or busy site or whatever.

The terms of service are once again your guideline as to what’s appropriate.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!