Gallery thumbnails without cropping to square?

apps

Good morning.

When I upload photos to Gallery2, thumbnails are automatically generated for each photo. Trouble is, the photos are not square. The thumbnails are. So Gallery2 crops them to square, truncating the long dimension of the original photo.

Is there a way to instruct Gallery2 to enlarge the canvas size to square, using the longer dimension of the photo?

Failing that, I would need to create the square images locally and upload them. How would I do that to get square thumbnails, without making the photos themselves square?

Thanks
-Mark

Try deactivating the Square Thumbnails display plugin! You will also have to rebuild thumbnails by either clearing the cache or explicitly rebuilding them in every album.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Ok, I need to spend more time getting familiar with the plugins.

Thanks!
-Mark

Anytime, let me know if that works out! (and who really has the time to investigate all those plugins - there are a zillion of them!)

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yes, disabling “square thumbnails” did the trick. Thanks again.

-Mark

Hmm…what’s the procedure to replace the old square thumbnails with shiny new rectangular thumbnails? I did the following, without success:

1. Disabled acceleration for guests and registered users, and saved.

2. Cleared saved pages.

3. Cleared database cache.

4. Rebuilt thumbnails and resizes.

My thumbnails are still square. Help!

Thanks
-Mark

I dunno if there’s an easier way, but I do the following:

1. Browse to http://gallery.mysite.tld/lib/support/index.php
  2. Enter your my setup password
  3. Select “Cache Maintenance”
  4. Make sure that thumbnails and resizes is selected
  5. Click the “Clear Cache” button

When that’s done, I go over to rebuild my thumbnails. I think this part only rebuilds the ones that aren’t there and doesn’t force a rebuild, which is why you have to do the nasty stuff up above.

Let me know if this works for you.

BTW, my thumbs are not square, so there’s hope!

That did it! Thank you very much.

-Mark

Yay! \o/