Gallery & text

wordpress

I’m going to use gallery, have it all set up, for a site describing country walks. Gallery is ideal for it of course, but there could also be a lot of text, the actual trip report. Ideally it would be nice to have the text on the same pages as the 10 - 20 photos of the trips.
Any suggestions how best to do this with gallery? Descriptions in the photos are OK, but I could do with something more substantial for the text area. Some people have a url on the page for the actual trip report, but that seems a bit disjointed to me. I’m probably missing something, I often do :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Bonus Code! Use [color=#CC0000]RHBONUS[/color] to get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] off new registrations!

This has always seemed to me to be a bit of a gray area between Gallery and WordPress.

Gallery seems great for pictures with few words.
WordPress seems great for words with a few pictures.

Do you think you just want extended captions for your pictures or do you want a single story for each gallery with lots of pictures and to have the text flow around the pictures?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Gallery albums can have a “Description” that, depending on the theme you’re using, shows up under the Album name at the top.

If you Edit an album, you can make some General settings for directory name, album name, summary, keywords, and Description. The Description textbox is big and says “This is the long description of the item.”

Unfortunately, the Description only applies to (and show up on) the thumbnails page. If you’re good with tweaking templates, perhaps you can get it to show up on Photo pages as well.

-Scott

Thanks Scott & Lensman. Really you’re confirming my thoughts in that I won’t be able to do what I want. The text could be quite substantial, I’m trying to do a walk trip site that is subjective and often off-topic in terms of local interest and anecdotes, unlike most which are a bit “dry”. I wonder if there are any custom themes that might do it, I have looked though. Damn!

Bonus Code! Use [color=#CC0000]RHBONUS[/color] to get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] off new registrations!

What about one of the blog/gallery2 integrations like WPG2:
http://wpg2.galleryembedded.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

None of the examples show flow and I think sites tend to be organized around blog entries with picture linking to individual pictures - or links to whole albums, but then you’re stuck with the one caption per picture model of Gallery2.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

There’s a thought, I will look at the blog approach. It would just be so good to have free text anywhere on the page yet still have the good points of gallery.