Gallery taking long to load

I have Gallery set up on a subdomain. Whenever I bring it up it takes up to 7-8 seconds to load. Is there any kind of optimization to make it load faster?

Good question, and if you find an answer, please post it here.

I’ve managed to gain a small speed increase by setting all the optimization options in the Gallery config. It’s still slow though. Enabling FastCGI has had no effect, despite the fact that, according to the Gallery forums, it should help. One of the problems is that, due to DH restrictions, it has to run as CGI rather than the faster mod_php. For this reason, optimizers like eAccelerator won’t work either.

The only thing keeping me using this snail is that I don’t have the time to go through the install/evaluate cycle for half a dozen or so replacement candidates.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

use your own Jablum (free software )
Generate the gallery within the software and then upload it
to whichever directory you assigned as gallery

Works better than most gallery software

Works better than most gallery software

Except that you don’t get the numerous benefits that a web application gives you over static HTML, like searching, RSS feeds, on-the-fly editing, site-wide themes, and so on.

It’s funny that you say that though, because just the other day I advised a friend of mine to stop using Jalbum and install a modern photo gallery application instead.

Did you set up a one-click install of Gallery, or did you install your own gallery manually? We find a lot of people who do manual installs for some reason install old, slow versions of gallery.

Also, the first time you view any part of a gallery, it generates the thumbnails for the first time and can take extra long to come up. It should get a good deal faster the second time and onward.

Gallery is still very slow in general on our services because we use an NFS-mounted system. However, the latest 2.1 release has shown a great speed increase and we hope to see even more optimization from their team in the near future.

However, the latest 2.1 release has shown a great speed increase

See, that’s what they said too but I’m just not seeing it here.

I installed mine myself, but it’s up-to-date. I’m using ‘High acceleration’ and generating thumbnails at upload time (the default, I believe) rather than at the first viewing. And yet it’s still painfully slow, a far cry from the “90% performance increase” promised in the performance config. I think I may have seen a slight speed increase over 2.0 but I also think that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Out of curiousity, did you upgrade from a prior version? Did you run the deletion script it generated during the upgrade process, the one that runs through and deletes about 3,000 files? This was one of the key components to the speed increase as far as I understood (complicated file structures of thousands of little files and NFS do not get along as well as we’d like.)

It’s a completely clean installation. At the time I upgraded to Gallery 2.1 I also moved the site from a subdirectory of an existing domain to its own subdomain.

[quote]One of the problems is that, due to DH restrictions, it has to run as CGI rather than the faster mod_php. For this reason, optimizers like eAccelerator won’t work either.

[/quote]

Wont do us any good to vote for eAccel then?

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg&

I had to move my gallery to apisnetworks to get better speeds