Gallery protection

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Gallery

Can anyone say if those problems with using an htaccess file in gallery are still an issue? Those procedures would be beyond me.
I can cope with making an htaccess file but that’s as far as I go. Also where does an htaccess file go for gallery? is it in the data folder?
Is there any way to protect an individual album while leaving others to open access? Or indeed any other way to protect the gallery in total? User/password wise.

Thanks

Bonus Code! Use [color=#CC0000]RHBONUS[/color] to get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] off new registrations!

Gallery itself has a whole set of users and permissions you can set up so you either have to login to view particular albums or be able to perform specific actions on pictures and such.

I’d say that if you want fine-grained control at the album level that you should use that.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks Lensman. I’d better get help from somewhere on it, it’s as clear as mud in the config section. I’ll go have a look at the Gallery website. Cheers.
Later Edit: After a couple of hours on the Gallery Website, wading through incomplete wiki type entries and a few forum messages of the type “all you need to do is edit user permission” but not really explaining how to, is there a kind soul on here who can explain step by step how to allow only people with a username and password to view a particular album? I can see the permission bit in Gallery, but don’t get it. I’m also presuming that after getting this done I’ll still be able to use Gallery remote on that album. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Bonus Code! Use [color=#CC0000]RHBONUS[/color] to get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] off new registrations!

One key point is that at the album level, the owner can “edit permissions”. You then can “Remove” the “Everyone/[core] View all versions” group permission.

Finally, you can get a list of and edit the groups if you’re logged in as admin in the Gallery>>groups site admin screen. From your message, it sounds like you want the “Registered Users” group.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks for your pointers Lensman. With a lot of experimenting and a snippit of help from the Gallery website wiki I managed to cobble it together. I’m sure I came close to wiping out the whole of dreamhost at one point, if not the whole interweb.
It could do with an idiot’s guide really.

Signed A. Idio…

LOL! I’m sure you did fine!

Glad you got everything worked out. I’m sure everyone will enjoy the photos. (well, not everyone, but everyone who has access!)