Gallery Performance

Switching from Simplehost to Dreamhost was one of the best moves I’ve ever made. In virtually every respect, things are much better here. I’ll never look back.

There’s just one thing: my Gallery installs are performing much slower here. Also, I have to spoon feed any add-item jobs. I used to be able fill a 10000 image Gallery with one click. Here I seem to have to spoon feed a few hundred at a time. I suspect it’s due to an overloaded shared MySQL server. Is that a possibility?

And if so, is it possible and advisable to install a private copy of MySQL on my own server along side the Gallerys?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks,

Douglas

Installing mysql on your DreamHost server, unless you’re on a Dedicated, would be pointless considering Procwatch would just kill it instantly. So you’re pretty much stuck with DH’s mysql server setup as is, or you could use a remote mysql server (ie. using a VPS or such). Which would be a costly solution in my opinion.

Or you could ask support to put your MySQL stuff on a different server. I can’t guarantee it’ll speed things up, but if the problem is that a particular database server is overloaded, then it should improve things for your site.

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. I tried using the “optimize database” task in the maintenance section of Gallery, but it hasn’t really helped much…

Thanks!

No resolution yet.

I think DH moved me to a different MySQL server some time back but the problem is worse than ever now.

Douglas