Gallery can not find convert

apps

I am using the Upload Applet to upload my pictures. Whenever I check the resize pictures box, I get a message saying that it can not find convert.

I have set the ImageMagick directory to /usr/bin/ and I have put ImageMagick on top in the Toolkit Priority.

Any ideas why Gallery can not find convert?

Thanks!!!

Did you use the Dreamhost “one-click” install for Gallery 2, or did you install Gallery yourself and, if so, what version of Gallery are we talking about here?

–rlparker

oops I guess I forgot to add that…

I did do the one click install, the version is 2.2.2

After reading the message again, I was not exact with the description before, so here is the message:

an optional part of Gallery Remote, ImageMagick, could not be found or is malfunctioning. Gallery Remote will not be able to resize images before uploading them, and loading thumbnails, and previews will be much slower. YOu can find out how to fix this by gong to this page:
http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery_Remote_Bundled

From the page it looks like I have to modify the imagemagick/im.properties file, but I can not find that file.

Also, from the Galley admin page you can “test” to make sure Gallery can find the ImageMagick binaries. All tests pass (convert, identify, and composite).

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Ah! Unfortunately I don’t have access ATM to a functioning OSX system (which I assume is what you are using from your comments about the im.properties file) so, I’m afraid I’m not going to be of much use in helping you sort this out.

I can often help with a DH related configuration issue, but other than nix boxen and most flavors of Windze, I’m pretty useless (I don’t have a Mac around to play with). I’m sorry! :frowning: .

Hopefully some Mac wizard can jump in and help you with this.

–rlparker

Yeah, that is the weird part, I am not on a Mac. Gallery is on DH, and the client is Windows. I am not sure they the message takes you to a Mac troubleshooting page. There is a linux section on that page, and that is was I was referring to.

It suddenly dawned on me that I forgot to ask one additional question (I just assumed the answer, and I shouldn’t have)!

Have you installed the ImageMagick and jpegtran programs on your computer? These applets use those copies of these programs, not the ones on the DreamHost server. :wink:

–rlparker

Ah, okay! so have you installed the necessary software (ImageMagick and jpegtran) on the Windows system you are using?

It’s the windows troubleshooting page you should be looking at, as the applets use copies of those ancillary programs that are local to the client machine.

Did you read and “grok” this entry from the Gallery codex:

Windows
[edit] Where to download

• ImageMagick
  • jpegtran (with lossless crop)

[edit] Configuration

Gallery Remote (1.4.2-b24 and later) should automatically locate ImageMagick (if the reg.exe utility is available, which is the case on W2k anx XP). If it doesn’t find it automatically, you need to edit the Gallery Remote configuration file imagemagick/im.properties (inside the Gallery Remote installation directory) and change the value of imConvertPath to point to the convert.exe executable in the installation of ImageMagick.

The jpegtran.exe executable needs to be placed in the PATH on your system. Your best bet is to copy it to C:\Windows\System32 (or C:\WINNT\system32 on older NT-based systems).

from http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery_Remote:Bundled#Windows_2

–rlparker

The fact that ImageMagick is installed correctly on the server won’t help with your configuration problem on the Gallery Remote client.

Let’s make sure that we’re on the same page… You’re having trouble with configuring your Gallery Remote client to be able to find ImageMagick on your local machine, right? (And as rlparker suggests, you are running on a Mac, right?)

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

[quote]an optional part of Gallery Remote, ImageMagick, could not be found or is malfunctioning. Gallery Remote will not be able to resize images before uploading them, and loading thumbnails, and previews will be much slower. YOu can find out how to fix this by gong to this page:
http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery_Remote_Bundled[/quote]
That page notes that if you’re on a Mac, you’ll need to install ImageMagick via a link they provide. Are you on a Mac?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks everyone!!! I did not know ImageMagick had to be installed locally. I installed it and it works.

Thanks again, and have a good night!!

Yea! Sorry I was a little slow on the uptake on that one, but I’m glad you got it sorted!

–rlparker

rlparker, this just goes to show that you’re not a slow typist!

Ha ha ha! Well, maybe not that thread (and then again, maybe I just didn’t get distracted!). It really is interesting though how much alike you and I think at times. :slight_smile:

The important thing is that the OP gets the problem addressed, and we were both going in the same direction to get that done. :wink:

–rlparker