Gallery 2 and ImageMagick

apps

Hi

I have just installed gallery 2 and was configuring the Graphics Toolkits but am getting an error for ImageMagick. I am just using the default directory of /usr/bin for the “Directory to ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick binaries:”.

This is what it says:

[quote]Version

ImageMagick 6.0.6

Warning: This version of ImageMagick has a known vulnerability that can be exploited to cause infinite loops. You may wish to upgrade. This determination may be inaccurate for Debian.[/quote]
So I am wondering, should I be installing the newer version of ImageMagick in my account myself, or is it ok to check the “Use this version anyway” checkbox?

That’s a good question, and I’m not 100% sure of the correct answer. I guess I was lazy, as I decided to trust that Dreamhost has kept the “security stuff” up-to-date, and that the “This determination may be inaccurate for Debian” disclaimer on the warning excused my laziness, as Dreamhost is running Debian (assuming that the warning being “inaccurate” was the case here). :wink:

It probably would have been better for me to research the vulnerability and the Debian situation more fully before making that assumption.

–rlparker

Don’t worry about it. It’s checking the version of ImageMagick to determine if it’s outdated or missing security patches, but Debian backports patches into older software versions if they’re still using them. This allows Debian users (such as Dreamhost) to get the security fixes without needing to upgrade to newer software versions.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.