FXP not working Dreamhost to subdirectory

I am using FlashFXP to try to transfer from
www.conanstevens.com to www.wrestling.conanstevens.com

I keep getting the error:
425 Unable to build data connection: Connection refused

I have searched these forums and google and cannot find an answer.

Is there some setting that needs to be enabled or if someone has successfully done this can they list it so I can follow the exact directions.

PS I’m not a newbie but I might be missing something basic

Worlds Biggest Action Hero?
7ft Tall Action Hero Actor
www.ConanStevens.com

I have transferred files between domains many times using FlashFXP and I can’t recall changing any program options, other than enabling the display of hidden files.

I simply connect twice, in both the left and right panes and ‘right click -> transfer’ on the relevant file or directory.

I just tried it again, with the following result;

[color=#0000CC]STOR WinFastDTV_setup_20189.zip
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for WinFastDTV_setup_20189.zip
RETR WinFastDTV_setup_20189.zip
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for WinFastDTV_setup_20189.zip (24716688 bytes)
226 Transfer complete.
226 Transfer complete.
Transferred: WinFastDTV_setup_20189.zip 23.57 MB in 3.80 (6,356.96 KBps)[/color]

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

It’s never worked for me either. I’ve tried Active Mode, Passive Mode, Forced Binary, Auto Detect, Using IP address rather than the Domain Name, Transfers between different domains under the same user account, Transfers between domains under different user accounts. None of those has worked.

I can always login to both servers just fine, but something about the transfer itself always throws the “425 Unable to build data connection: Connection refused”. The FlashFXP help says that this is probably due to an incompatibility with NAT, but I am not really interested in disabling NAT redirection on my router.

When I need to transfer something big between domains, I just use the PHP technique. This won’t work with 2 ftp servers, only when one has a webserver.

<?php $ftp_server = 'ftp.domain.com'; $ftp_user_name = 'ftpuser'; $ftp_user_pass = 'ftppass'; $server_file = '/ftppathtofile.ext'; $local_file = '/dirpathtofile.ext'; $conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server); $login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass); if ((!$conn_id) || (!$login_result)) { echo "FTP connection has failed. \n"; echo "Attempted to connect to $ftp_server for user $ftp_user_name. \n"; exit; } else { echo "Connected to $ftp_server. \n"; } /* //UPLOAD $upload = ftp_put($conn_id, $local_file, $server_file, FTP_BINARY); if ($upload) { echo "Uploaded $source_file to $ftp_server as $local_file. \n"; } else { echo "FTP upload has failed. \n"; } */ //DOWNLOAD $download = ftp_get($conn_id, $local_file, $server_file, FTP_BINARY); if ($download) { echo "Successfully written to $local_file\n"; } else { echo "There was a problem\n"; } ftp_close($conn_id); ?>

http://benconley.net
http://teamshocker.com

I am behind a NAT router here and, as I said above, I have no issues with FXP (not with DreamHost anyway). However, I am aware that not all NAT implementations are created equal (different ALGs etc.).

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I found a workaround

Go to your dreamhost control panel -> Users -> Manage Users

Then edit your username and add shell access, go back to manage users then

shell [login now] hit login now this takes you to a HTML based shell and you can copy files from one place to another - even different servers

It is also the fastest way to delete.

Worlds Biggest Action Hero?
7ft Tall Action Hero Actor
www.ConanStevens.com

Nice! Thanks for sharing that one. When you stop to think aobut it, it makes sense really, as the “server-to-server” stuff wouldn’t be available to an ftp only user. Good reasoning there, and a valuable tip!

Of course, that “html shell” is just the php-driven net2ftp client, but it does let you do some “shellish” things, if you are a “shell” user (and is a lot easier/less intimidating for some users than a shell prompt.)

–rlparker