I’m a beginner and in reading this forum, a lot of us including me could use a simple tutorial on the basic structureof the website ( all the ones I find are either too general or to complex or unfamiliar nomenclature and no pictures/diagrams on Google searches) of the root -what’s got to be in it, why and is it only accesible under password?
Is your website index.htm in that root or in a subdirectory in the root called “”. Is the index.htm in that directory and is it your home page or a pointer to the home page? and is it with the entire website in that directory?

How do basic subdomains work and how do they fit into this picture?

thanks for any answer or links to tutorials that are easy to understand and talk about these things and apply to our Dreamhost!

Your website goes into the subdirectory for the domain you want to use. If you only have one domain, then it’s If there’s an index.htm file, just replace it with your homepage file (naming it index.htm, or index.html, or index.php or whatever), and that will be your main website page. See the >DreamHost Knowledge Base for more info. You’ll also find info on subdomains there.

thanks. My problem is that when I first signed up to Dreamhost they did something special because I was using Frontpage. I used Frontpage to just upload without ever even looking at my root directory. Frontpage just did it. I had never even FTP’s my root to see what was there. Then recently the Frontpage upload just stopped working and I got a possible error list. So I read the forums and learned enough to go FTP into my root at “” and saw mail, logs and an old directory called “mydomain_before_Frontpage” that was empty and seemed to date to when I first started. There is also a 46 byte exec looking file called '" but its not a directory at all. So in my root there is no directory that contains my website or its index.htm. The weird part is my website is up and running so must exist somewhere. I have yet to get any help from support ( except an e-mail that missed the whole point) and the knowledgebase is not specific about my case and suggests if I have a working website I should find it in my root under “”. Nope! All I can think is that they treat Frontpage differently and they originally moved my website to some other server and my root only contains my mail and logs (and they are there). If my website is somewhere else on some special Frontpage server then they must have some way that re-directs to there. I just believe that was recently broken and since I may fit into this weird case, how do I fix it.

to the best of my knowledge, becuae of the permissions and whatnot you can’t do anything for your site - you’ll just have to wait for Support. I’m very sorry that they’ve been so slow. But users don’t have access to re-install extensions, and there’s no way besides Front page to access your files. FTP obviously will not work - your files arn’t even stored in your home direcotry.

As I said before, just contact support with a site outage emeregency, and ask them to reinstall FP extensions.

Frontpage sucks; it does lots of weird nonstandard stuff that causes problems. You’re best off learning HTML and using a plain text editor to create your pages.

For more hints and tips about Web development, see my site:
I discuss a number of things including default index files and subdirectory structure. Since you also asked about subdomains, you might also want to see my domain name site:
This explains a lot about the structure of domains and subdomains.

– Dan