FTP user can't upload to domain

I added a new ftp user to my account that is only allowed to access one subdomain. When I use that ftp account (via WS_FTP), all I see is :

logs folder
Maildir folder
.alias
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.cshrc

How do we actually access that subdomain? Where do we upload at? When I use the main ftp account for my domain, everything’s normal. I’m using the same host name to connect to as I do with my user name and password. Any ideas? Have I done this wrong?

[quote]I added a new ftp user to my account that is only allowed to access one subdomain. When I use that ftp account (via WS_FTP), all I see is :

logs folder
Maildir folder
.alias
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.cshrc

How do we actually access that subdomain? Where do we upload at? When I use the main ftp account for my domain, everything’s normal. I’m using the same host name to connect to as I do with my user name and password. Any ideas? Have I done this wrong?[/quote]
Log in to your Web Admin Panel and then click on the “Domains” tab and click on “Web”. Find the subdomain and then click on the “Edit” link.

Make sure “Fully Hosted” is selected, then choose the name of the user for all the user fields, and that the Web directory is “/home/username/subdomain”

Click “Save Web Service” and just wait for the changes to be completed.

When the changes are completed, the user should have a directory “subdomain” when he logs into FTP, and files he uploads there will be made available on the web. This simple setup will work if you do not wish to “share” files between your user account and the new user account; if you want to access the files for that subdomain you would have to login as that user.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Thank you SO much! mwah

I have a SHELL user named bob.

I have A Fully Hosted Domain selected with Enable CGI checked.

User is bob.
Web directory is /home/bob/domainname.biz
Logs directory is /home/bob/log/domainname.biz

If I select another SHELL or FTP user named ‘jack’. Change the above settings in the Edit HTTP section to:
/home/jack/domainname.biz
/home/jack/log/domainname.biz

Will ‘bob’ lose SHELL and FTP access to these files? Or do both users have domainname.biz directory and both files show in HTTP?

Thanks.

[quote]Will ‘bob’ lose SHELL and FTP access to these files? Or do both
users have domainname.biz directory and both files show in HTTP?

[/quote]

The directory contents of bob’s directory will remain unchanged (and be accessible via shell or FTP), but the domain “domainname.biz” will simply point to jack’s directory instead.

When you delete a domain from the panel, we don’t automatically assume you want to delete its parent directory - it’s not always a reasonable assumption, and it would have the potential to anger people if their files were suddenly deleted. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin