FTP User Can't See Root

wordpress

I have an interesting problem …

I’ve been a DH user for many, many years.

I have several domains hosted.

A few days ago I created a new domain for a friend. This is the first time I’ve ever needed to give FTP access to someone else. On the “Manage -> Web” panel I have it set to be “A Fully Hosted Domain” and I’ve set this person’s username to be the CGI-user .

When I log in via FTP as this user, all I see are a “logs” and a “maildir” folder.

If I log in as myself, I see folders for all my domains, and in the folder for his domain I see several other folders (notably the ones created when I installed WordPress for him) and many files.

When I log in as him, why can’t I see the files and folders that I know are there?

I think I found your problem:

“Due to FTP users not being able to go outside their home directory and problems with group writability for CGI scripts, only one FTP/shell user may access the web directory for a website hosted with us.”

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2951

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

er …

Right. I read that. (Yes, I’ve already searched everywhere.)

But I have that user set as the “run CGI as user” on the domain and I still can’t FTP to it.

Correction: I had that user ser as the “run CGI as user” until one minute ago, when I realized that doing that caused his WordPress php files to all stop working and his domain to basically die.

::shrug:: sorry

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

Very very strange.

Now I see that domain as a folder when I log in via ftp as my new user, but it appears to be empty.

If I log in as myself, I see that domain as a folder full of the WordPress files and folders.