FTP uploading

OK, I’m an absolute beginner here, a real noobie to webhosting, and I’ve just set up an account. I have a domain and have one-clicked Wordpress to begin blogging on this domain.
Right now I’m confused about how to upload files to my account folders. I’ve created a subdirectory and want to upload a new Wordpress theme to it. I downloaded an FTP program, but I can’t get the program to upload the files to my server folders. I get a message saying the “target machine actively refused” my attempt to connect. What settings do I need to get the host to recognize me?
That’s about all I know at this point. Help!

You could just use WebFTP from the DreamHost control panel.

BTW, don’t forget that you need to enable [a] user account (not your panel accout) to have ftp access.

Oh, what client platform are you on? Windows or Mac?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Enable a user account. How to do that?

I use a PC at work, and a Mac at home.

Hmm. I see that user accounts are set to FTP by default (makes sense, I guess).

Are you sure you’re entering your credentials correctly? Username and password that you created when you created your first hosted site? You should have gotten a confirmation email about the account creation.

If you have that all right, then it may be a firewall issue.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

your webid password and ftp passwords are different…

the email you initially received from dreamhost should have your ftp password.

you can change ftp passwords can be changed under Users >> manage users >> edit the user

your webid passwords can be changed under Home >> overview >> security