FTP site for file sharing

First off apologies, I’m sure this has been posted before but after 2 hours searching I haven’t found what I’m looking for.

I want to set up a folder to use for sharing files with clients through ftp. I only want them to be able to touch that folder and not see my whole site. It will function as a place for them to post files too big for e-mail.

The worst is I did this about 2 years ago and it was simple, now I’m banging my head against a wall.

Thanks for reading.

Create a new user and share the details with those who require it.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

I had tried that but it gives that new user access to everything. Am I missing something as far as how to give them access to one folder?
Thanks.

If FTP security is not a big concern, may I recommend the use of Anonymous FTP. You will be able to specify separate upload/download directories that have different sets of permissions.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

hmmm, looks like that will cost me almost $50 dollars a year. I had no idea I was attempting something that would be so difficult or costly. I could have sworn I did this in 10 minutes a year or 2 ago.
Thanks to all who read my question, I really do appreciate the feedback.

How did that user get access to everything? Like your whole site? A new user is a stand-alone entity. If that FTP directory is supposed to be readable as part of your site, do the following:

Use the Remap function:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/Account_Control_Panel/Domains::_Remap_Sub-Dir

1. Create that new user and give everybody the username and password
  2. Create a directory in their home folder
  3. Remap it to a directory on your site

And if you want people to go to that directory and see all the files in there, either add an empty index.html file, or create a .htaccess file with this line:
Options -Indexes
-Scott