FTP please HELP!

Hello,

I am in DIRE NEED and HELP! I am a beginner and I have wordpress uploaded to my site. while editing the footer I have now the following error code:

Please Follow These Steps To Restore The Footer:
Please FTP inside the theme folder and open the includes folder, you’ll find footer.txt inside
Copy & paste it to the theme root folder and rename it to footer.php to overwrite the current footer.php you’ve modified.
Finally, refresh your page HERE to go back to your homepage.

HOW DO I DO THIS?? I am panicking bc my site has been down too long and everytime I try to rename a file, it says:

The document “footer.txt” could not be saved as “footer.php”. The volume is read only.

Please help!

The last 5 words “The volume is read only.” is the confusing part. If there is an includes/footer.php can you rename it to something like footer.php.old so that you can take the extra copy they have given you as footer.txt and rename it to footer.php ?

Basically it sounds like they guessed you would try to do that and gave you an extra copy of the file named as .txt so that it would be easy for you to ‘undo’ your edit.

FYI, it would have just been easier to give us the URL… i figured it out because I remembered it was in your other post, and went and found that… although you copied and pasted, it makes more sense when you see the whole message in the browser…

Hi LakeRat! Sorry about that! Thank you for taking the time and looking for the URL. The URL is www.realsportsdawgz.com

I tried to rename it and the same error message comes up:
The document “footer.php” could not be saved as “footer”. The volume is read only.\

Below is how it is listed

css
footer.php
functions.php
header.php
images
includes
about.php
breadcrumbs.php
featured-category.php
featured.php
footer-widget.php
footer.txt
paginate.php
related.php
searchform.php
social.php

I am totally confused![hr]

“Copy & paste it to the theme root folder and rename it to footer.php to overwrite the current footer.php you’ve modified”

Have no idea how to do this or if I am doing it correctly -I have gone into the footer.txt copied the text, tried to paste it in footer.php-no avail. I have tried to copy footer.txt text and rename it -no avail

have you checked permissions on the file? try to chmod footer.php to 777 and then see if you can delete it.