FTP not working

Hey guys! I had a trouble accessing to my web server using FTP program and I’m wondering what’s wrong since I can access the internet ftp that you guys offer in the panel, but the program doesn’t lemme access it…T.T I wish I knew what to do… just wondering cause it worked 2 days ago, but it didn’t work yesterday and it doesn’t work this morning as well… hope you guys know the solution to the problem or answer to the question!!!

~Thanks

Hi there. Welcome to the DreamHost customer-to-customer forum!

To facilitate getting help from your fellow customers, would you provide a few more details about your problem? Which login are you using? What error message do you get? What server are you accessing?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I’m so sorry… I’m just a newb on this forum so I didn’t know how things work…

here are my info…

ftp: chainoffaith.com
server: centinela
id: chainoffaith

I’m not getting any error message, but here is screenie of my ftp when I click log in…

I got a message popping up saying the connection is successful, but then… the upper screen (the server screen) is blank like that…

well hopefully this info is enough if not please reply with infos I need to post more!

Hi,

Just quickly, you may want to edit your ID out. I didn’t really mean to get your actual ID, but just wanted to make sure you were using your unix ID that was enabled for ftp access.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

No biggie, btw.

Anyway, it does look like your login works, but it is the ls command that is giving you a problem.

Have you tried command line ftp?

Also, does the login process seem particularly slow? Finally, have you ever SSH’ed in to your server? I’m wondering if your server is having some NFS performance problems…

well I’m a newbie on comp so I never tried any of those and I don’t even know how to do it…T.T is it possible to be fixed by today or does it take awhile??? I’m kinda in a hurry uploading tons of files and the website ftp takes forever…T.T

ohh okay… I got error message on my ftp right now…
and it says…

425 Unable to build data connection: Connection Time out
<<
501 Rest: Resuming Transfer not allowed in ASCII Mode

hope this helps…

So did you get the immediately upon starting ftp or was this during an upload?

It’s sounding like a connection problem where you’re losing the ftp connection during a transfer, but I can’t be sure until I know what you were doing when you got the error.

Do you experience much packet loss when pinging your server?

no the packet is okay… and the message came out after I clicked connect to the server… I let it stay on that blank screen up there about five min and I double clicked on the server window and those messages came out…

OMG!!! I’m so dumb!!! Thank for your replies Lenseman… my firewall was off… I dunno why it was off but then I saw alert message and I turned it back on and my ftp works again…^^;; Sorry that I bothered with such a stupid question…XD thanks for helping again!!!

Ha! I’m just glad you got everything working again and can continue to build your site!