FTP Issues

I’m a newbie and uploaded a small mp3 file to my site to test it out. I can’t get the file to actually download though for some reason. When I right click on the file it comes up as invalid. What am I doing wrong? This is how I have the filepath:

Also, people are talking about Hanson servers, etc, and I assume that’s on the DreamHost end. How do I find out what server mine is? Thanks for the help.

That looks fine to me.

If you browse to www.yourdomain.com/media/ you should see a directory listing including the file. If you subsequently click on the MP3 file it should, depending on your browser configuration, either download or start playing in your media player.

Is it possible for you to post the real URL for your MP3 file? It might help to pin-point where you have gone wrong.

The easiest way to find your server is to go to Users -> Manage Users in the panel, then look under the Machine column.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Oh, thanks for the quick reply. The actual link is:

http://www.mysterydomain.com/media/Bees.mp3

And thanks for the heads-up on the server info!

Thanks for posting the URL.

How long has the domain been active?

The reason I ask is that I can’t actually resolve your domain from here. This suggests to me that your domain is still ‘new’ and the DNS information has not yet propagated completely around the Internet, it can take up to 72 hours for this to happen.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Yes, very new. Only 24 hours and I think you’re right…it hasn’t propogated through the internet yet!

Thanks for all the info! I’m happy to see that I was headed in the right direction.

I think you will find that given a little time for DNS propagation your MP3 file (and everything else) will work just fine.

If the domain is still not resolving correctly after 72 hours, lodge a support request via the panel and have DreamHost support take a look at it for you. Although, I think it is just a matter of waiting a little longer.

No problem, I am always glad to help when I am able. :slight_smile:

Mark