FTP first timer - What info goes where?

Hi there, I signed up for an account here at DreamHost earlier this afternoon and have just now downloaded and installed a FTP client (FTP Commander).

I opened up the program, clicked “connect” and up popped the following window.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/o0ambrosia0o/FTPwindow.jpg

Now, from Dreamhost I have my domain name (and, alternately, the temp web service or whatever to use until my domain goes through), as well as my FTP user name and password.

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me what goes where as, with the exception of “password”, the other fields arn’t an exact match to the info I have?

Also, after matching up where the information I have goes, could I be briefed regarding what goes in the other fields, what I leave blank, alone, etc.?

Any help would be very much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Check out the Kbase
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=137&keyword=FTP
the “Name” under the server side box will be the name you use to reference this ftp account.

-Matttail

First of all, thank you soo much for taking the time to comment!

Secondly though, I um kinda just found out that Windows XP already comes with a (suuuuuper easy to use) FTP-ish client g. Meaning that I’ve uninstalled the confusing FTP Commander and am already well on my way to putting together my site!

Again though, thank muchly for your help! :slight_smile:

[color=#6600CC]deceptivelysimple.com[/color]

[/quote]

It does? Where?

TIA

At the bottom of this page about how to use FTP a user commented with the following…

User Post (2005-02-07 13:16:38 by elerium)
Windows XP does not require a seperate ftp client. Simply go to My Network places folder (click Start --> My Network Places). Click add a network place (located on the left under network tasks). Click next in the network place wizard. Select “choose another network location.” For internet or network address simply put, ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com - Click next, unselect log on anonymously, type in your user name (ftp, not the one you log onto the Dreamhost panel with). Clickity, click, click and then it will ask for your password as it tries to connect. Simply go back to My Network places where a folder will appear as your web site’s ftp. Add all the sites you want for easy uploading.

It’s working great so far for me anyway :).

[color=#6600CC]deceptivelysimple.com[/color]