FTP error messages

Hi all -

I’m looking for some guidance. I took on the task of updating the site for a group that I belong to as the old webmaster quit the group (and now I am unable to get ahold of her). All she sent to me was the FTP address and our group’s username and password. When I went to open the FTP site, I was able to copy the files from the FTP site to my harddrive, and I was able to delete files from the FTP site. But when I try to upload any files, I am getting the following error message:

An error occured copying a file to the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to put files on the server.

Details:
200 Type set to I
227 Entering Passive Mode (and a bunch of numbers)
550 (file name): Disk quota exceeded

Any clue as to what the problem is and/or what I can do? I tried the same thing through WS FTP, and got the same 550 error message as well. I just have basic knowledge on this kind of stuff so I am really unsure about what to do here.

Thanks very much, I appreciate your time.

Jamie

In general that error means the ftp user account is out of disk space. If the ftp account is also in use as a mailbox it could be just full of spam, or the main account owner may have limited the amount of disk space allowed by that ftp user. Someone with access to the dreamhost web control panel would have a better idea of what’s going on.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder