Ftp arrrrr

Why is it soooo slow? I’m on an .edu connection and get 5k uploading to it? This is becoming extremely frustrating…any insight?

I’m in Australia and SSH is to slow to use, so it’s not just you.

What’s the load on the machine (uptime) when you notice it being slow? If you do an extended ping to your machine, do you show any packet loss?

Obviously in your case (all the way in Australia), the latency is going to be a little higher; I’m showing a pretty clear path to you, though.

Also seeing a pretty clear path back to you (though your organization appears to be dropping some types of ICMP inbound).

Can you see your site (and our site) fine from there? What if you download a largeish file via HTTP?

I’m not aware of anything that would be causing this issue on our side.

[quote]
In reply to:

I’m in Australia and SSH is to slow to use, so it’s not just you

What’s the load on the machine (uptime) when you notice it being slow? If you do an extended ping to your machine, do you show any packet loss?

Obviously in your case (all the way in Australia), the latency is going to be a little higher; I’m showing a pretty clear path to you, though.

[quote]

Hi Will When I was trying to ssh to my domain (tancred.net) ssh just could not establish a connection. Traceroute failed on the west coast of the USA but I’m not sure if it was inside your network or not (and I forget to capture it) http just gave a connection refused error at my domain. however webmail & panel was perfect. Also sites hosted on other Dreamhost servers were fine.

I usually wait 15 minutes before logging a support ticket and 15 minutes later all was fine.

Latency to Australia is not that bad actually :slight_smile: and at the moment everything is great.

Tancred

Uploading to my ftp is 100k (Transferred 1 file totaling 4.57 MB in 46.95 (101.89 KBps))
Downloading the same file 177k (Transferred 1 file totaling 4.57 MB in 26.84 (177.81 KBps))

Seems to be fixed. Thanks.