FTP Admin User

Hello,

I’ve just signed up and right now I’m facing a problem with FTP.

I need to create a ftp account to every custumer I have so they can download what the asked me for (I run a Photo Agency). My directory tree should have many different users and every user should be able to read/write only what’s inside its directory.
All of this directories and files should not interfere or be reachable through web, only by FTP.

Another thing. In order to make my life easier, I would like to have a unique ftp master user that could read/write every directory of my fs tree. This master user should have access to every user’s files and directories.

I’d like to have this feature so I can upload photos to different custumers using only one account.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Rafael Ramos

[quote]Another thing. In order to make my life easier, I would like to have a unique ftp master user that could read/write every directory of my fs tree. This master user should have access to every user’s files and directories.

I’d like to have this feature so I can upload photos to different custumers using only one account.

Is this possible?[/quote]
Each system user is treated the same and they each get a home directory of their own. The only “master” is DreamHost staff.

If one uses shell or SFTP you can access the home directories of other users given the appropiate permissions are in place. This is not possible using regular FTP. So concievably you can upload files and transfer them between users by copying them by shell commands or a CGI script.

:cool: openvein.org -//- One-time [color=#6600CC]$50.00 discount[/color] on [color=#0000CC]DreamHost[/color] plans: Use ATROPOS7

If you’ve got the Crazy Domain Insane plan (the cheapest one), then you’re limited to 75 FTP users (accounts). And here’s a Wiki entry on directory permissions:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Unix_Groups

Why are you opposed to making it FTP only? It’d be easier to have it web-based if you had the right software.

-Scott

I agree. It would probably make it easier for the customers as well.

Just a word of warning; If you do decide to go with a web-based solution, be sure to find a package that is not written in PHP, as the default PHP settings here at DreamHost limit you to ~7MByte uploads. There are various ways to overcome this limitation, but they are fairly involved. It is probably easier to just find a package written in a scripting language other than PHP.

Mark

Web Hosting Reviews | DreamHost Promo Code

I don’t think that upping the upload limit over 7 Megs is that involved. It’s just a recipe in the wiki:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PHP.ini

Ok, the Wiki says it’s an advanced exercise, but it’s still a recipe that, when followed accurately, works.

-Scott

I agree, the instructions in the Wiki are relatively straight-forward and do work as advertised.

However, in the past we have had some rather long and drawn-out threads walking people through the process and invariably, after much head scratching, we discover that some pivotal step in the process was skipped.

I am not saying that people shouldn’t attempt the process, if we didn’t try new things, we’d never learn :slight_smile: . I am just pointing out that it is rather easy for someone not familiar with such things to miss a step, or perhaps not quite understand exactly what it is they need to do.

I guess there are always friendly folks here on the forum willing to help for those that get stuck. :wink:

Mark

Web Hosting Reviews | DreamHost Promo Code