Frustrated new user

I registered with Dreamhost last night. I paid 2 years in advance. The transaction was accepted and processed in Google Checkout. Dreamhost sent me a receipt confirming my purchase.

However, they have yet to “approve” my account. It’s still showing that it’s pending.

I have yet to receive an email with my ftp username and password.

I can perform no functions for my clients in the webpanel.

I’ve written to their customer support twice. One, ten hours ago, that they have yet to reply to.

The other, written about 30 minutes ago, which apologized and said that they were encountering problems they have not yet seen because they were making changes to their datacenter. The letter ended by saying that my account should appear normal now and everything should be in working condition.

It is not.

Nothing’s been updated and I’m still in Limbo.

I am giving dreamhost the benefit of the doubt and another hour to give me a reply with possible solutions.

After the hour, I will cancel my account and go back to daddy for all my clients

If you’re not a US customer paying via credit card, there are extra hoops to jump through and extra waiting. Once everything clears, though, life is usually pretty good.

-Scott

I’m in the us. I paid w/ American express.

And I’m still waiting

Hopefully they can get you sorted soon … I’d hate to see you have to continue with “the daddy” for lack of a little patience. :wink:

–rlparker

Hmm. That’s troubling.

When I signed up my account was activated within minutes. DNS was the bottleneck to me being up and available and I was able to use one of the workarounds listed in the wiki for viewing my site before DNS was available so I was able to get started on my site immediately.

It’s too bad you’ve experienced problems with getting up and running immediately. It would be disappointing if you were to give up on what I think is a decent web host who so many of us trust much more than the other one you mention. :slight_smile:

Being realistic, though, if you are going to be frustrated by such delays, it might be better for you to stick with the trouble-free hosting you’ve had with Gdddy. My experience is different but you have to decide on your own what will be best for you! After all, there will be downtime at Dreamhost, both planned and unplanned. I think it’s on par or better than my other shared web host, but I’m only one datapoint. At any rate, if the delays or downtime are truly unacceptable, you’d best look to pay more for a higher level of service. If you’ve really had better luck at Gdddy, I think you’ve been the exception rather than the rule. What plan did you have there?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

This is not an uncommon problem, but I guarantee that you will find the DreamHost package well worth the wait.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

I, too, am experiencing the same problem. Except I have been waiting since the 11th. My best guess is it has something to do with Google Checkout. Unlike the OP, I will not go back to GD with my business, never, and I would advise the same to the OP.

Well heres hoping for tomorrow.

Have you sent a polite message to support? Sometimes a human hand is needed to help things along! :slight_smile:

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

Yes I did, earlier today after reading a few pages from the wiki, but haven’t received a reply yet.

So as I said before, heres hoping for tomorrow.

Yup! Good luck!

More Dreamhost coupons

[quote]Yes I did, earlier today after reading a few pages from the wiki, but haven’t received a reply yet.

So as I said before, heres hoping for tomorrow.[/quote]
Are you from outside US ? There is many reports of delay from outside United States.

TTL
Dreamhost coupon code for 600 GB space with $50 off plus 1 extra lifetime domain =>[color=#00CC00]CHRISTMAS2007[/color] promo code or $50 off + 2 lifetime domains with [color=#00CC00]50FORGOOD[/color] code

I live within the US, Ohio to be exact. It seems this new billing issue might play a role in my long delay. Hopefully this is only an isolated incident.

UPDATE I finally received a response today at about 2pm EST from the DH Robot:

Hello,

Your inquiry has been moved to the queue of a specific tech support team member (this is either because they are already familiar with your case or are the best equipped to assist you with this specific issue). They will respond to you as quickly as they can but depending on the complexity of the issue it may take longer than normal for them to get back to you (even in excess of 24 hours in some cases).

Thanks!
The Dreamhost Ticket Moving Robot!

So looks like it might be another day before I get this figured out.

Nobody knows what is going on. We just need a bit more patient.

Trust me. You only need to wait a bit more. You will be excited when you get the extremely large storage.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks everyone for the support, yea they got me all hooked up now and everything went remarkably fast. I am very impressed, now to the beginner section for some noob questions LOL

Yay, congratulations and welcome!

Keep the questions coming. It’s how we all learn stuff. And don’t feel bad if you can’t find the answer on the wiki or in a search of the forum. Stuff can be hard to find even if you know that there was an article or post on a particular subject just last month. :slight_smile:

More Dreamhost coupons

[quote]If you’re not a US customer paying via credit card, there are extra hoops to jump through and extra waiting. Once everything clears, though, life is usually pretty good.

-Scott[/quote]
I don’t know if they have changed the routines but I’m not in the U.S. and my account was billed, payed, setup and ready to be used within 2 minutes after submitting the payment form when I signed up in 2006.

Mine is activated very fast too though I am outside U.S.

I think we are lucky ones. Some people may need to wait few days for their accounts to be activated. Hope things can get better here :stuck_out_tongue:

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here