Front Page issues

I moved a site over from its previous host to Dreamhost almost two weeks ago. I had last updated the site using FP 2003 just a few hours before switching it over and everything worked fine as usual.

After I’d switched it to Dreamhost and the DNS switching had finished, I tried to get in via Front Page and got the following error message:

Documents in this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or network problems may be preventing a connection to the server.

I thought this was odd, so I tried accessing the site on my other computer (FP 2004) and got the same error message.

The odd thing is that I was able to get into my site via FTP (Ipswitch) and upload all the site’s content. So it’s all there and online and operative, the issue is just getting into FP for easy access. I can edit things in FP straight off my hard drive and then upload them via Ipswitch FTP but that’s an extra step and it’s silly.

Dreamhost suggested I uninstall FP and reinstall it, so I did. No luck. Dreamhost pointed out a page in the Microsoft Knowledge Base about that error message saying it happens when users connect through a proxy server - but I’m not connecting through a proxy server. It’s two weeks on and I still can’t even open my site in Front Page, I just get that same error message.

I haven’t enabled server extensions because Dreamhost insists it’s unnecessary, and I told them I don’t have the luxury of losing access to my site for four days in any case, but now when I’ve said I’ll bite the bullet and do it they say that enabling the server extensions won’t change a thing.

And after two weeks of trying to resolve this, Dreamhost have basically thrown their hands up and told me to come here or find a solution myself.

Yes, (insert your anti-Microsoft tirade here) but I don’t have a few hundred ££ lying around at the moment to spend on another software package.

Any clues?

are you trying to connect with Frontpage’s live connect feature? If you are using this ‘live connect’ where you edit files basicaly on the server and changes are immeadiate then you will have to enable FP extension for that domain. It’s the only way that you can connect to it with that feature.

However, if you are willing to simply use FTP, edit the files on your HD, and then click Publish, you don’t need to have FP extension turned on. I know that it’s an extra setp, but IMO it’s a lot smarter. This way you are pretty much sure to have a most-up-to-date copy of your site on your computer, and if you do turn on FP extensions Dreamhost no longer makes the automatic backups that you can access in the ‘.snapshot’ directory.

If you’re going to go ahead and turn on FP extensions, I would reccomened ‘importing’ your site to your computer ever week or so, that way you still have a backup if something should go wrong. Oh, and with FP extension on you will no longer be able to access your site through FTP.

Hope this helps

-Matttail

I don’t know what currency that is, but you don’t really need any particular software package to create Web sites; I’ve been doing it for a decade now with only a plain text editor.

– Dan

No tirade from me but, if your site is not too complicated you might have great luck switching to Nvu http://nvu.com/
Free, W3C compliant (unlike FP which is one reason so many people hate it) opensource, robust and very cool.

As you’ve probably figured out by now, DH is not the best host for FrontPage support…

However, if you continue with FrontPage i do think you need extensions on to use LiveConnect.

Jean,

the error that you are experiencing, I am very familiar with. As a user of FP for over 6 years and switching back and forth between FP, DW and the likes…the issue is probably due to a caching of your website locally…

What you need to do is:

1. Do a Search for all *.web files on your computer…once found; delete them all (and remove them pernamently from your Recycle Bin)

2. Find your FrontPage Temp directory (default: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\FrontPageTempDir) and delete all files there (once again making sure that you are removing them from the recycle bin)

3. Go into IE and in the main menu bar choose “Tools”>“Internet Options” > Delete Files (make sure you check the box for Delete offline files as well-this is a critical step)…also do a Clear History

…the reason for this step is due to FP reliance on IE for several functions…btw, even though not much documentation on this to date, I have had serious problems since switching to FireFox as my default browser…any correlation? whose to say :wink:

1. Reboot your system

2. Open FrontPage and attempt to connect to your site…once you are successful…it is imperative that you do three things:

A. Recalculate Hyperlinks
B. Administration>Recalculate the Web
C. Defrag your HD

1. If all the above fails, i suggest a few things:

A. www.interlacken.com < this site is authored by Jim Buyens (the underground GrandFather of FP)

B. you might need to switch hosting providers: FP doesnt seem to want to play very well with Linux servers, and the extensions dont seem to like the Apache Servers very much either… :wink:

C. Btw, FP will no longer be supported by MicroSoft beginning in 6/2006 - it would be a good idea to keep this in mind.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

While Nvu will definitely become the definitive WYSIWYG editor of the future, that time has yet to come…it is still very much in the beta-testing phase and many of the features do not work correctly. I suggest holding off on using Nvu with any client websites until all the bugs are worked out.

Also, there is a security flaw that has been discovered recently in FireFox and Nvu that could compromise your computer—be on the lookout for technical bulletins on this one

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

as matt said:

<If you’re going to go ahead and turn on FP extensions, I would reccomened ‘importing’ your site to your computer ever week or so, that way you still have a backup if something should go wrong. Oh, and with FP extension on you will no longer be able to access your site through FTP.>

It is critical that you import your site or save locally every week or so…remember, DH does not backup FP sites

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately none of it worked.

Did you end up turing on front page extension or not?

-Matttail

No, but I’m going to have to, it’s just a matter of finding four days when I don’t have to access the site.

Then I get to figure out where to scrape together £330 for Dreamweaver :frowning:

jean,

i did read that you dont have FP extensions enabled and I do understand how DH feels about this, but, even if it doesnt resolve your current problem, it would be in your best interest to turn FP extensions ON…I know Jeff is going to respond to this, but, let me tell you one thing, I actually forwarded alot of my issues to MicroSoft (paid the $200 trouble ticket) and they were none to happy to hear that DH was suggesting people not use the extensions, especially on an apache server running linux (he really suggested I switch to a plan that offers Windows servers). Frontpage (admittingly) is a somewhat fragile technology that does have its problems, but you simply compound the problem when you use FP and the CGI workarounds. By the way, the MicroSoft tech did warn me that they are going to discontinue support of FP in 6/06 - so better start looking for a new WYSIWYG - I would suggest Nvu after they work out the bugs :wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

It didn’t take me any 4 days to turn on FP extensions for my site. Only a couple of hours. And there is nothing wrong with Frontpage, it’s just difficult to use the live connect feature with Dreamhost.

The easiest solution for this is to just edit the files on your computer and then upload them. That way you don’t need the extension, and DH does outmatic backups so you don’t need to worry about that part as much.

And I don’t blame dreamhost for not encouraging FP extension, they’re a bit of a hassle. As far as how difficult DH makes it to turn the extension on really isn’t much. I’ve been with several other hosts that claim to have FP extesniosn installed and running, but you still can’t connect via ‘live mode’ or anything else.

Microsoft based servers are extremly expensive to host on, but also makes money for Microsft so I would expect them to tell you to ditch linux.

I think dreamweave is a good bit more diffiult to use. You might want to pick up a book about getting used to dreamweaver. And the are other ways to get ahold of dreamweave, though not leagal…(not that I am encouraging you or saying anything about my copy of dreamweaver)

-Matttail

We do actually make backups frontpage sites, but not in the same manner as we do most of our sites. The technical reason for that is the Frontpage Extensions do not work properly on our file servers using NFS (network file system) so we are forced to move the site data directly onto the hosting server. If that server goes down unexpectedly, the data goes down with it! We do still have those backups, but it’s not seamless like it is with other sites.

NFS is a widely used standard so I don’t know why the extensions don’t work with it.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Honcho

It’s no secret that we’re not too keen on Frontpage, but we do try to support it as best we can on our Linux Apache servers. There have been several issues that have come up and we have not been able to resolve and we never know if it’s an issue with the Linux Apache extensions themselves or a problem with how we have it set up. It’s difficult for us open-source advocates to truly ‘trust’ the MS technology.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Honcho

We don’t install the Frontpage software on all of our Apache servers (there are multiple Apache servers on each physical server machine) so the domain has to be moved to another and that involves a DNS change. Most DNS changes these days are pretty quick, but there was a time when they would often take much longer than expected due to strange caching issues. We still err on the safe side when we say how long it will take, I guess.

I was actually just looking into streamlining our Frontpage support the other week when I read that the UNIX extensions would be completely unsupported in the next year or so. It seems like it’s not worth the effort now.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Honcho

<We do actually make backups frontpage sites, but not in the same manner as we do most of our sites. The technical reason for that is the Frontpage Extensions do not work properly on our file servers using NFS (network file system) so we are forced to move the site data directly onto the hosting server. If that server goes down unexpectedly, the data goes down with it! We do still have those backups, but it’s not seamless like it is with other sites.>

Geeze, dallas, i wish i wouldve bumped into you some time ago. I had a problem that one of the other support techs were working on and in the process he corrupted the navigation structure and when i asked him prior to his work if they could back it up first, he told me that there was not such an option with FP extensions enabled :frowning:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<It’s no secret that we’re not too keen on Frontpage, but we do try to support it as best we can on our Linux Apache servers. There have been several issues that have come up and we have not been able to resolve and we never know if it’s an issue with the Linux Apache extensions themselves or a problem with how we have it set up. It’s difficult for us open-source advocates to truly ‘trust’ the MS technology.>

That and it would be pointless to start getting too seriously involved with a technology that is going to be snuffed out in 6/06 by MS own admission.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

OK, I’ve gone and flicked the switch to enable FP extensions, and this is what the screen said:

" You have just enabled Frontpage extensions (against our better judgement!) for (domain) .
It will take several days for your change to take effect though, as new dns information must propagate across the Internet.

The following fully-hosted domains have Frontpage extensions already enabled:

(my domain)

To remove Frontpage extensions, please contact support."

Oh boy. Now I’m really confused.

Jean,

nothing to be confused about. It just means the extensions have become active on your site and as soon as the DNS (domain name servers) propigate (make their way through the internet) they will be active and ready to go…it never takes several days like they warn you, for me it only took like a little over a day or two…the important thing you need to know, is that you need to contact support if you need the extensions repaired or re-applied, there is no option to repair extensions through the web panel…

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

YES! Turning on the extensions did the trick!!

Now my evil plans for world domination can move ahead at full speed!! muhuhuhhhuuhhaaa

j/k - thanks for the help!