From pop3 to imap

Is it possible to switch from pop3 to imap? what happens then? Will I lose all my mail?

Cupons:[color=#0000CC]MAO_HALFPRICE[/color] : pay only half of the price (L1 plans only) MAO97 get 97$ back

I don’t think you will lose any mail. You will just start receiving mails using IMAP.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color]. Sign Up NOW

Yes it is possible. What happens to all your mail really depends on how you are using POP3, and how you configure your new mail client versus your old mail client.

If your client is currently taking all of your mail off of the server, not leaving a copy behind, then IMAP won’t have any messages to begin with. If your client is leaving a copy on the server, then you will still have mail there for IMAP to see. Potentially there will be mail from a long time back you didn’t even know you still had around (again depending on your config of your pop client)

I use Thuderbird for my mail for here for the most part. What I did to test some of this is I left my imap connection to the mailbox installed, and setup a pop setup. I can copy mail between them. So if your mailbox is empty, you may be able to put important mail back on the server if you want it there.

You may also just keep the important mail in local folders within your mail application.

find / offer local services free
http://www.TheHelpfulNeighbor.com

When you say
"You may also just keep the important mail in local folders within your mail application."

It means that IMAP allow you to store something locally? I don’t want to switch on my router every time I have to read some important email.(that’s the reason I’m using pop3)

Cupons:[color=#0000CC]MAO_HALFPRICE[/color] : pay only half of the price (L1 plans only) MAO97 get 97$ back

Then IMAP is no good for you. IMAP allows you to store your email on the server to allow it to be accessible from anywhere, unless you want to access your email from multiple site, say work and home for instance, you don’t really need IMAP.

Web Hosting Reviews | Get Around The Net Directory

I agree with Shonky. If you don’t want to have to have internet connection to get to your email, then IMAP isn’t right for you unless you are going to always copy the important messages to local folders in your mail client.

IMAP leaves the mail on the mail server. Your mail client connects to the server to see what is there and show it to you.

If you don’t need access to your email from more than 1 computer stick with POP3, and have your mail client remove mail from the server.

find / offer local services free
http://www.TheHelpfulNeighbor.com