Frickin dotster & registerapi


#1

For some reason those 2 Registrars keep trying to transfer my domain to them.

I used to just ignore the emails when the domain was registered elsewhere (which is what you SHOULD do, otherwise you end up getting “slammed”), but now that the domain in question is hosted at Dreamhost, every 4-5 days I get a message FROM DREAMHOST asking if I want to actually transfer the domain.

I know, I know, all I have to do is ignore the emails, but I’m getting tired of even seeing them now.

I can block these bozos from my own emails, but I don’t want to block Dreamhost emails.

Is there any way to bounce back any email request for transfers from Dotster and Registerapi?

these places are just scammers.


#2

I wouldn’t ignore any emails asking whether it’s ok to transfer your domain.

ICANN changed the rules recently. It used to be that you had to give an ok before the transfer happens. Now you have to explicitly say no or the transfer will happen. Ignoring the emails could mean a lost domain…


#3

Couldn’t you e-mail DreamHost to put the domain in “lock status.” That should ensure that the domain cannot be automatically transferred.

happylittlethings.com


#4

I’ve heard this stuff about someone being able to transfer a domain without your approval before on this board. And being the holder of a few domains I was curious about this. So I did a little research…

Basically this isn’t true. The Gaining registrar is required by ICANN regulations to get approval from either the administrative contact or the Technical Contact of the domain name to initiate the transfer. The gaining registrar is also required to fill out what ICANN calls a Form of Authorization (FOA) then they must keep this form along with the communication they received from the domain name holder. The loosing registrar may request this form on their own to verify the transfer, or on your behalf – and they are required to present it. If the gaining registrar does not present this form that your registrar may deny the transfer or re-transfer the domain if the process has already been completed.

The gaining registrar must contact you either through the E-mail address listed in the domain contact information, or through the mail service. However if they do it through the mail you must present a notarized statement, drivers license, passport, or birth certificate showing that you are indeed the Administrative contact or Technical Contact. They may accept confirmation from any identity that has access to the E-mail address on file for the domain.

The loosing registrar is not allowed to deny the transfer request solely because you didn’t reply to an E-mail they sent - However they can deny the request if you tell them to, if the domain is in “Lock Status”, if the have evidence of fraud, court order, … or if it’s within the first 60 days of a domain being registered.

So yeah, there is space here for a registrar to get into fraud and transfer your domain with out your approval. But if they do you just contact your registrar and tell them what happened. They will then request the FOA from the gaining registrar. If they fail to produce that document then your registrar may take it back on your behalf. (There’s not a lot you can do personally, you have to rely on an ICANN accredited registrar)

But honestly why would a registrar try and take a domain name? When you notice it you can get it back, and if it was truly a fraud situation the company is likely to loose its accreditation with ICANN. But if you are worried just write DH support and ask them to put your domain into lock status – they DH will deny any transfer requests and the domain can not be moved without you first removing the lock.

Here are my sources:
http://www.icann.org/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm
http://www.icann.org/udrp/#udrp
http://www.icann.org/transfers/
http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

-Matttail


#5

If I recall, some New York ISP lost their domain to some Australian registrar a while back. So it does happen.

When this change went into effect, I got an email from Godaddy telling me:

[quote]Dear Valued Go Daddy Customer,

Effective November 12, 2004, ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, will put in place its new transfer policy for all accredited domain name service providers.

The previous ICANN policy allowed us to deny requests to transfer your domain names to another registrar unless you explicitly confirmed to us your intent to transfer. The new ICANN policy removes that protection. When we receive a request to transfer your domain name to a new registrar, we will still attempt to contact you to confirm that you authorized the request. However, if you do not respond, or are not able to respond within 5 days, your domain name WILL be transferred.[/quote]
As you pointed out in your post the above is basically true. You may have a recourse, but you’re still going to be out a domain while the bureaucracy chews your complaint.