Frequency of DNS tables updates?

New Customer!

OK, at my Linux prompt, I’m doing:
“dig ns1.dreamhost.com mywebsite.com” and after 23 hours now, the “A” record still doesn’t appear for mywebsite.com

I’m not talking propagation, I’m directly querying the DNS server…

The forwarding technique using mywebsite.dreamhosters.com IS working. ITS “A” record appears as it should, so everything is working on that end, but I’m just wondering what frequency the main DNS tables are updated…?

You need to use an @ before the nameserver to query:

dig @ns1.dreamhost.com mywebsite.com

Without the @, dig will just lookup the address of ns1.dreamhost.com as well as the address of mywebsite.com.

In my experience, the Dreamhost nameservers now update with a few minutes of making a change.

thanks for the reply.

[quote]Without the @, dig will just lookup the address of ns1.dreamhost.com as well as the address of mywebsite.com.

[/quote]

That’s all I need - just to see if it’s in the database, and after now 26 hours, it’s still not. I used the “@” and the results are the same.

[quote]In my experience, the Dreamhost nameservers now update with a few minutes of making a change.

[/quote]

I’m thinking it’s related to it being the first domain of a new account. I will follow up here to let future posters know how it was resolved.

I submitted a trouble ticket, got a reply in a short time, and they updated the server and my domain appeared there instantly!

Since then, I’ve added domains to my account and they’ve been added without a hitch!