Free domain - What happens if I change host?

I’m about to sign in, but I wonder if I can use this free domain registration for a domain that is really important to me.

What would happen if I changed host? Maybe even bail out before the 97 days-money back?

If I’m not given complete control over my domain, maybe I should register ir outside and use this free domain for something not so important.

Does anyone know about this?

It’s in your name and you can transfer it to any registrar you want–nothing to worry about there. You can even change the nameservers if you keep the domain here but decide to host it elsewhere.

DH doesn’t try to hold anything of yours hostage to keep you here, so you’re safe.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

If the free domain is the one you wish to transfer at worst all they could do is ask you to pay for the domain ($9.95).

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog

"It’s in your name and you can transfer it to any registrar you want–nothing to worry about there. You can even change the nameservers if you keep the domain here but decide to host it elsewhere.

DH doesn’t try to hold anything of yours hostage to keep you here, so you’re safe."

That’s simply not true. There is a cost to DH for registering any domain. The free domain is for paying customers so if you bail out during the 97 day guarantee of course you will pay for that domain registration.

What plan is best for you? Compare from this list and select the best plan

It is true that you’ll have to start paying for the domain if you cancel hosting, and that the registration part of your sign up fees is not refundable.

Hoever, dreamhost does not hold onto the domain. It is yours fully, you can transfer it away, you can do whatever you want to regardless of having hosting here. The domain will be your for free as long as you keep your hosting with dreamhost. After that it’s up to you to pay for registration, here or somehwere else.

-Matttail