Free domain registration?

Say, didn’t the terms use to be that we get one free domain (registration + yearly fees) for as long as you host with us? I seem to remember that phrase quite clearly. But when I now go to register my free domain, it has been downgraded to …get the first year FREE (as long as you keep your hosting active)! (This text is copied from the second page of the DH domain registration process.) So now it’s just the initial registration that are free, not the keep-alive costs. But since I signed up way-back-when, I should still be eligible for the way-back-when terms – if they are different from today’s at all.

I’ve been a DH customer for years but didn’t use the free domain yet because I normally use .dk domains which are not in this deal (only com/net/org IIRC). Now that I’ve finally found a use for this free domain, I’m facing this. I would write to DH sales but before I do that perhaps you can refresh my memory?

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDChoose a plan!

So is “registration” the same as what I called the “keep-alive costs”? Are you saying that I should just sit back and relax because DH will cover this cost forever, as long as I remain a customer and that particular domain is active?

By the way, is there a definition of “active”? Does a parked/mirrored/redirected/cloaked domain count?

TorbenGB

So it sounds like you’re both right. It is a bit confusing though. We see questions all the time here about registration vs hosting, the free domain vs adding unlimited ones. At least it keeps this curious forum alive :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Peter

Not sure which DreamHost plan is best for you? This chart lists the plans.

I haven’t used the free domain registration myself either, but from what I read, I guess it’s free as long as you have 1 paid hosting plan here; and it really doesn’t matter which domain you are hosting or not.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

I havent used mine either, yet, but I went to transfer over a domain from another provider and it wants me to use that transfer as my free one. Does this mean then when I transfer it, that its free for life as long as I am active with DH? I thought I read it had to be a “new” registration? If so, why is it forcing me to use my free one on a transfer, if I am not getting anything for it? Any suggestions?

Yes Kedogn, a suggestion is that you contact support or sales @ dreamhost dot com and plainly ask them. From what I’ve read in these forums in the past, DH is very customer friendly and they can surely arrange that your free registration is used for this transfer if you like – or not if you don’t like. Just tell them what you need and they will probably work out something useful for you.

TorbenGB

Thanks.

It’s important to note that you can’t “sit back” and assume Dreamhost will do everything forever.

You still have to go through the process of renewing the domain every year… it just doesn’t end up costing you anything.

Good you mentioned that. I’m up for renewal soon.

Not sure which DreamHost plan is best for you? This chart lists the plans.

[quote]By the way, is there a definition of “active”? Does a parked/mirrored/redirected/cloaked domain count?

[/quote]

The way I read that, keeping your hosting active just means paying your bill (i.e. if someone quits paying without cancelling their account they’d be “inactive”). I could be wrong but that’s how it looks to me.

Sorry for the confusion everybody!

Here’s how it works:

For every active hosting plan you have for a year, you get one free domain registration for that year.

You no longer really specify which domain registration (or transfer) is your “free” one. Instead, our system will just check if you have any unused whenever you register (or transfer) a domain, and if so it’ll give you $9.95 off.

What that text on the signup was trying to convey is, even if you sign up and pre-pay for two years of hosting, your domain will only be registered for one year for free. When it is about to expire though, you can renew it, and since you’ll have a free domain registration still available on your account, it’ll be free to renew it then!

You can also set your domain registrations to be automatically renewed, and when the time comes if you have a free one because of a hosting plan, that renewal will be free.

Make some sense I hope?

josh!

All my domains are registered with another company. I assumed that when I transferred hosting (from yet another company) to DH, that first domain (which my account is under) counts as the free domain. Is that correct?

Jen
http://www.SassyDevil.com/

I had that same question and the response from DH I got was:

"Yes this will be the registration that will be free for as long as you have a hosting plan with us. "

Thanks!

Jen
http://www.SassyDevil.com/