Free domain in existing account?

Hey everyone!

I’m a pretty happy Dreamhost customer (Crazy Domain Insane) since February. When I moved to Dreamhost I already had my website + Domain, so I didn’t use the Free Domain that was included in my plan so far. Now I’m thinking about opening a second website through my Dreamhost plan and would like to use the free domain now. So, there are a few questions on my mind:

1. Is it still possible to register the free domain now, although my account is already active for 3 months?

2. When I signed up with Dreamhost the Free Whois Privacy option wasn’t included. Can I use it for free anyways, or is it only for new customers then?

3. The Features page says the following about the Free Domain:

“(Registration is only free with active plans; if the plan becomes inactive at any point during the registration year, you will be charged for that year’s registration.)”

So, if I register the free domain now, and I do not renew my hosting plan next year (pre paid for one year), does it mean that they would charge me the domain fee for a complete year afterwards, because of the 3 months the Domain would be connected with an inactive account (Feb 2007 - May 2007)?

Would be cool if sonmeone could answer these!

Thanks in advance!

OneWhoKnows

It shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been here for 2 years, and the Control Panel (in the manage account section) still says I can use my free domain if I wish.

I think it is available to everyone, although obviously it is for folks with domains actually registered with DreamHost.

I’m not sure about that one, but surely it is a moot point? Naturally, you will continue to renew with DreamHost for years!

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

OK, I registered now to be able to reply.

Thanks for your answer, Simon. I’ll check that soon, I just can’t because I’m not at home and I don’t have my Control Panel password available atm.

And about the renewal for years… Well, as I have a business site hosted at Dreamhost and I want to make money with it - if it pays I’ll renew. If it doesn’t I won’t, simple as that :wink: