Forwarding a domain with ssh support

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to forward a subdomain that is usable over the ssh port.

If this is not clear, here is my dilemma. I want to ssh into a server I have set up at home. I am hoping to use a subdomain of mine as something like a dydns or no-ip service. When I ssh into sub.domain.com, I want to be dialing in to my server at home (which is not toally static, but rarely changes), not a dreamhost server. I already have it set up to do the simple http forward. Is this possible to do?
Thanks,
Jim

technically speaking, yes. You need to modify the DNS of your subdomain.

You have a static IP for your home PC. WOW!

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or not :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 8 static IPs at home. I’d run my business off it, but the upstream limitations of an 8MB line are pretty poor.

Cheers,
Karl

web design, development & seo by DigitalVibe

If you are only an Internet user, the “static IP” assigned to your modem is not really a static IP. It is still a dynamic IP address assigned by your ISP. It does not change every day, but maybe weeks or months.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Nope, for all intents and purposes the IP range is static. I used to work for the ISP so I know it to be true.

For the life of my contract with the ISP, I retain the same 8 IP addresses. It’s guranteed to never change, and if I moved the connection over to another line, I can take my IP addresses with me, provided i stay with my current ISP.

Cheers,
Karl

web design, development & seo by DigitalVibe

Not always true. Over here across the pond, most reasonable ISPs will give out a fixed IP address range. I have “4” but only two are actually usable.

Julian Knight

As others have said, you’re not “forwarding” the subdomain, you’re just setting the DNS for the subdomain to the IP address of your home server.

You have a few options:

1. Manually set the IP address of your subdomain whenever you get a new IP address for your home connection. You do this in the panel under “Domains>Manage Domains”. Click on the DNS link for your domain and add a DNS entry for the subdomain you want to point to your home IP address. Oh, make sure you set the “A” record.
  2. Use a service like dyndns. You can use the free service to get a yoursubdomain.dyndns.org address. There are a variety of ways of getting your router to automatically update the IP address at dyndns to match it’s external IP address.
  3. Do #2, but then add a “CNAME” record for a subdomain at dreamhost that “points” to your dyndns subdomain.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons