For Someone who's Used to Domain Forwarding

i went ahead and signed up. i have previously forwarded the domain name to a server in San Diego where i have a personal account. it was $100 a year.

is it possible to forward the domain name to a directory at Dreamhost ?

the Dreamhost web panel shows me as having -

new database ~ wwswimming_forum
hostname ~ mysql.wwswimming.com

BUT wwSwimming.com is domain forwarded at the registrar i registered it with, whom i generally like.

when it says, “The domain must use our DNS”, does that mean that you have to transfer it, no other option ? that is, forwarding from the current registrar is -
A/ not allowed
B/ just a real bad idea.

or … noticing the “You should do any nameserver changes (e.g. to ns1.dreamhost.com, etc) before transferring”, do i just need to go to my current registrar, tell the control panel there that i want to use “ns1.dreamhost.com”, and then it’s off & running ?

The easiest thing to do is to set the nameservers for your domain to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com. You do this at your registrar and no, it doesn’t require you to transfer the domain registration to dreamhost.

There are a couple of more complicated ways of doing this, but this is the easiest. Let us know if it doesn’t work out that way and someone here will be able to provide a solution for you!

3 extra lifetime domains and $52 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM52[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons

thanks. i did it, using this detail -

ns1 – ns1.dreamhost.com

ns2 – ns2.dreamhost.com

ns3 – ns3.dreamhost.com

following some sort of attempted logic, in
assigning the nameservers.

then it came back with this -

ns1 – ns2.dreamhost.com

ns2 – ns1.dreamhost.com

ns3 – ns3.dreamhost.com

is there a technical reason why it
reversed the nameservers, and put
registrar NS#1 pointing to Dreamhost
NS#2, and registrar NS#2 pointing
to Dreamhost NS#1 ?

will it take a normal 24-48 hours to
propagate throught the system ?

[quote]is there a technical reason why it
reversed the nameservers, and put
registrar NS#1 pointing to Dreamhost
NS#2, and registrar NS#2 pointing
to Dreamhost NS#1 ?[/quote]
Weird. I haven’t been at this for that long, but I’ve never seen this before. Shouldn’t hurt, though.

[quote]will it take a normal 24-48 hours to
propagate throught the system ?[/quote]
Yep!

3 extra lifetime domains and $52 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM52[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons