okay, i have tried to read the Wiki and searched the forums quote a bit, but i’d like a bit of help if i can. any links etc, would help.
This is my first experience with off site webhosting, and linux as well for that matter.
my old website i ran off an old pc with windows xp and apache loaded onto it, and after alot of tinkering it was pretty straight forward for me. however, i moved and my new isp no longer allows me to do this, so i am moving it to here.
FYI, i just set it up today.
- is there a dreamhost for dummies or something similiar?
- where do i put my web pages. does it go directly into the directory ‘domain’.net(domain obviously being mine’s name)
- does creating a subdomain cost anything?
- can i set up a sub domain for a friend of mine and just give them access to only that?
- i tried accessing the site via the dns information(the ip that was assigned today) since the name hasn’t been associated via the dns servers, and it says "error id: “bad_httpd_conf”. do i just need to wait until tomorrow? the info for the problem in Wiki was useless.
- i have a photo upload thing that was p/w protected on my old site so i could upload photos on vacation. what chmod setting will i need to use to make this work?
- is there anyway to “import” my current mysql databases from my old server?
Thanks, and more questions will be forth coming.