... For dummies

okay, i have tried to read the Wiki and searched the forums quote a bit, but i’d like a bit of help if i can. any links etc, would help.

This is my first experience with off site webhosting, and linux as well for that matter.

my old website i ran off an old pc with windows xp and apache loaded onto it, and after alot of tinkering it was pretty straight forward for me. however, i moved and my new isp no longer allows me to do this, so i am moving it to here.

FYI, i just set it up today.

1. is there a dreamhost for dummies or something similiar?
  2. where do i put my web pages. does it go directly into the directory ‘domain’.net(domain obviously being mine’s name)
  3. does creating a subdomain cost anything?
  4. can i set up a sub domain for a friend of mine and just give them access to only that?
  5. i tried accessing the site via the dns information(the ip that was assigned today) since the name hasn’t been associated via the dns servers, and it says "error id: “bad_httpd_conf”. do i just need to wait until tomorrow? the info for the problem in Wiki was useless.
  6. i have a photo upload thing that was p/w protected on my old site so i could upload photos on vacation. what chmod setting will i need to use to make this work?
  7. is there anyway to “import” my current mysql databases from my old server?

Thanks, and more questions will be forth coming.

also, can phpnuke be installed? if so, how?

Firstly welcome to DH. As far as a DH for dummies guide goes, I think this forum is as close as it comes.

When you log in via FTP you should see a domain.com folder. Place your website files here. Anything in that folder will be publicly accessible.

Sub-domains are free. You can create an unlimited number of them. Of course you have to already have registered the domain and have DNS pointing to DH to use that sub-domain. You can also create sub-domains of dreamhosters.com for free.

Because of the shared hosting enviroment here you can’t just access your site via that IP address. That IP address is linked to several other domains and sub-domains also hosted on the same machine as your site. There is an article in the wiki here that will walk you through the steps to view your site before the DNS switches over.

For your photos what I would suggest is creating a FTP user for that purpose only. As long as that FTP user doesn’t have a domain associated with it there will be no way to access the files accept through FTP thus keeping your files protected.

chmod doesn’t password protect files but sets permissions on who can acess and write to the file. If you wanted to password protect part of your website (the publica accessable part) you should use .htaccess which you can set up in the Panel > Goodies > Htaccess/webDav.

You should be able to easily move your MySql data here. Basically you’ll need to export that data from your machine, transfer the sql file to the server here and then import it into a new database you’ve created through the Panel > Goodies > manage MySql. See this Wiki Article for specifics.

You should be able to install phpnuke without problems. Basically you get the files from their website, upload via FTP, then configure the install pointing it to a database and giving it a few paths.

Feel free to post back here with more questions. Most all of us here are more than happy to help.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Interesting viewing the post the link to the wiki for previewing a site, it’sanogood :wink: but when typing this response viewing it in the reply it’s good…

[quote]1. is there a dreamhost for dummies or something similiar?
[/quote]

I’ll say wiki it. wiki.dreamhost.com you will find most of the answers or solutions there.

[quote]2. where do i put my web pages. does it go directly into the directory ‘domain’.net(domain obviously being mine’s name)
[/quote]

You can log into your website through DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> WebFTP. Your files should be stored inside “domain.net” folder.

[quote]3. does creating a subdomain cost anything?
[/quote]

at the post mentioned above, it is free.

[quote]4. can i set up a sub domain for a friend of mine and just give them access to only that?
[/quote]

It depends what access you want to give. If you just want them to upload files to a subdomain, you can create a ftp user for the particular subdomain for your friend. check DH panel --> Users

[quote]5. i tried accessing the site via the dns information(the ip that was assigned today) since the name hasn’t been associated via the dns servers, and it says "error id: “bad_httpd_conf”. do i just need to wait until tomorrow? the info for the problem in Wiki was useless.
[/quote]

It takes some time for new domain name to propagate in the network. It may take around 72 hours.

[quote]6. i have a photo upload thing that was p/w protected on my old site so i could upload photos on vacation. what chmod setting will i need to use to make this work?
[/quote]

I did not get your question. If you want to protect your file, you can try to set up htaccess file. check http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Htaccess

[quote]7. is there anyway to “import” my current mysql databases from my old server?
[/quote]

I believe you can do this using PHPMysqlAdmin. Export the database in your old server first and import to DH.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].