FLV converter audio sync issues

I converted a .mov file (which plays fine) to an .flv file. It converted okay, except now the audio is off by about 2-3 seconds. I’ve noticed it gets hung up in the beginning, and repeats the same second or two of video twice before continuing on, yet the audio continues without hesitation. Is there a way to fix this?

the bot says it’s encoded correctly. and it plays fine. it’s just when the bot gets done with it, saying it’s good, the video skips in the beginning throwing the audio off.

I don’t know what “the bot” is, but try encoding another .mov from a reliable source with it. If the results are the same then it might be a problem with “the bot”. If all goes well, then chances are that the original .mov has been encoded incorrectly.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

you know… the flash media converter on dreamhost? you get an email from “the bot” that converts it for you when it’s done? have you even used it before?

I’ve used the DreamHost Flash Media Converter before.

Have you tried converting a .mov from a reliable source with it?

where else is there? do you have one you recommend?

The test involves a different .mov file, not a different online converter :wink:

1. Obtain a reliable .mov file.

2. Upload into a directory in your userspace.

3. Use Goodies > Flash Media to convert it.

4. Check resultant output.flv to see if audio is synched correctly.

it’s a video from final cut. all i did was went to file > export > quicktime movie. i have other .mov’s, but they were made way. i tried it with a different .mov as well, and it did the same thing.

I’m not sure how successful Final Cut is as a converter, but .mov files are a hassle at the best of times. Are you able to export from Final Cut as .avi - or any other more reliable container format?

i tried .avi and it worked, but it’s in a much lower, crappier quality then the .mov’s. i’d like the higher quality better. any suggestions?

How about MPEG-4? Great quality, but I’m not sure if the converter will recognize it. When it comes to the .MOV format, I rarely get the settings right regarding sync frames, streaming, and all the other options.

-Scott

it says only these formats: AVI / MOV / MPEG / MPG.
avi is crappy, really pixelated quality, mov has sync issues… i don’t know much about mpeg and mpg though, since i’m exporting it out of final cut.

MPEG-4 is a video steam type that the .avi container uses.

.avi is the container - the extension has nothing to do with crappiness.

The codecs and their settings that Final Cut is using determines the quality of the streams within the resulting container, not the choice of container. As the software is a branded product, they likely dumbed down the codec settings used when exporting to .avi :wink:

First, have a poke through settings and see if you can choose the codecs used in conversion. If you can, set .avi to encode video using XviD, mpeg-4 or h264 @ ~1000 kbps 25fps and audio at 48000 ~128kbs cbr.

If you can’t setup the exporting codec settings, dump the file raw or export in a DVD format (MPEG2) and use a real encoding program to make the conversion to .avi (or even directly to .flv).

As an experiment, I exported a clip from iMovie as m4v, which the converter didn’t like. It looks like it’s strictly looking at the extension. It sounds like sXi has better insight into what settings work. Someday I’ll figure it out, too.

-Scott

i can do that with .mov, but not avi. the only compression type is cinepak, dv-pal, and some different dvcpros.

cinepak is where the “crappiness” lays. Try an export with one of the other codecs.

I have a customised ffmpeg install on a test server which includes a nice stack of decoders. If one of you could provide a link to an exported video (either here or via PM) I’d be happy to run a test conversion to see if it’s just the codecs used to produce the original file that is causing the conversion to take a dive via the Panel Media Converter.

original: http://www.dhasselhoff.net/videos/3rdrockpt2.mov and /videos/3rdrockpt2.avi
flv version: http://www.dhasselhoff.net/videos/3rdrockpt2_320x240.flv

The original .mov appears to have stream problems.

Quoting Scott, “…get the settings right regarding sync frames, streaming, and all the other options.”

Make a small test video (15 secs should be ample).

If “synch frames” refers to vid/aud, synch every 500ms
If you can turn streaming options off, turn them off.
If you can set video params, set to ~1000kbps @ 30 fps
If you can set audio parameters, set to 44100 or 22050 or 11025

Export as .mov, upload, and run it through the Media Converter.

i turned off the internet streaming option and changed the audio to 44100 and that seems to have worked. thanks for all the help!