Files upload to level *above* root directory

I use The HTML Editor by Coffeecup Software. It includes an FTP capability such that I can right-click the doc I’m editing and upload it.

Problem is, even though I’ve specified the root directory within the program, docs upload to the level above root. Using a dedicated FTP program, I can see the uploaded docs on the same level as /logs and /Maildir.

Coffeecup Software wonders whether there is a way, on the DH dashboard, to specify the default folder (root) when connecting. I’m looking around, but I see no way to do that.

(They also suggested that I disable the "enhanced security " setting under “Manage Users”, but I really don’t see how that might help.)

No, there is no way to change the root directory for an FTP user. Changing it would make some of the files under that user impossible to view or modify.

Setting a root directory should be a feature of the CoffeeCup FTP client, not of the web host. Similar functionality is present in most other web authoring tools I’ve seen, and I’m rather surprised that CoffeeCup has not followed suit. For instance, Microsoft FrontPage and Adobe DreamWeaver both allow the FTP server and directory to be specified separately, as seen in the screenshots on the linked pages.

[quote=“Andrew_F, post:2, topic:60287”]
Setting a root directory should be a feature of the CoffeeCup FTP client, not of the web host. Similar functionality is present in most other web authoring tools I’ve seen, and I’m rather surprised that CoffeeCup has not followed suit.[/quote]

Apparently their software is ignoring the setting except when using the upload command activated by a keyboard shortcut. So the work-around would be to leave the setting at / and set the root through the server.

I don’t know how the software works, but I came accross some similar problem and all I had to do was set the destination folder correct.
For the ftp login I did the setting:
Normally you would have:
ftp: domain.com
user: xxx
pwd: zzz

for ftp destination I put in:
domain.com/domain.com/folder/folder/

and after that the files where put in the correct folder and NOT in the root.

Maybe it helps maybe not, maybe it was only that script that it worked with, I don’t know.

That is actually my post in the CC forum. I asked them why the program doesn’t use the same routine for both upload methods, but they’ve not replied. I expect a new updated program shortly… ;}
[hr]

That sounded good, but the ftp connect errored out. Nice try, though.
[hr]

Figured as much, but now I can report back that their suggestion won’t fly.

FWIW, the server and the root are set separately.

I wasn’t clear that the CoffeeCup HTML Editor does, in fact, have separate settings for the server and the FTP directory. However, as it stands, one ftp method works… and the other doesn’t. I believe that’s called a ‘bug’.