Files are all there, but the page itself disappeared

So here’s what happened…

Someone swore that this would work if I wanted to easily change the logo on a Wordpress theme: just download a copy of the entire site via FTP onto Dreamweaver, change only the logo file in PS and leave it under the same filename (and size, extension, etc.,) and then reupload that file alone, leaving everything else the same. (Don’t touch any PHP files, etc…) So that’s what I did. Everything was going so well. I just checked the FTP files on Dreamhost, and every file was there, exactly the way it originally was. The modified jpg file was in the images folder of my theme, and it was the only thing that had been changed. It all looked great. But THEN…

Typing in the URL of the actual page now only gets this message:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.talesofpublictransit.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

!!!

I haven’t been able to find any clues anywhere about this. Does anybody have any idea what happened??

From that error message, it seems likely there may be a problem with your server. I recommend submitting a support request to DreamHost technical support, so they can look into it for you.

Thanks so much! I’ll try that. :slight_smile:

ETA: Actually, the original problem resolved itself. The page is now coming up, but the logo hasn’t changed, even though the jpg for the logo HAS changed in the ftp file. I don’t think the person who advised me to do this knew what they were talking about, but I think that changing the logo on a WP blog probably just isn’t as easy as this. Too bad, because it really looked like it was going to work!!

Anyway, I think I might take this question over to the WP forums, because the question I really want to ask is why the same logo would have showed up there when I know that the jpg I have under the same name on my actual site has changed. There has obviously got to be some other copy somewhere that WP is using, or the old jpg wouldn’t be showing up-- it no longer exists in the same location when I look at it through the Dreamhost ftp. All I see is the modified copy I uploaded. So maybe WP has it somehow??

seems to be loading fine for me